Cool Ford Trucks

In 07 I traded in a 12 year old Cavalier for it on the $1,000 Retire your ride program, and that truck with 3 liter V6, that was gutless and a pig on gas, 4:10 rear posi and A/C was 17 thousand plus tax with trade in applied. I got 4 trouble free years from it.

Like Marc says the 3.5 is proving to be more reliable lately as compared to the 5.0 which surprised me. Last year I went to the Amqui Ford Dealership with a friend and the Sales Manager there was telling us the same thing adding that he had two 5.0 in the shop at the moment being overhauled and very rarely saw any 3.5 since the first generation. And that I must say really surprised me as I was convinced of the opposite...

So Marc what is the feedback on the 6.7 diesels ?? Have someone who I know very well that traded his very low mileage Lariat 250 for a Platinum and I have the opportunity of trading mine in but not sure if I want to get into this diesel world ?? More expensive maintenance wise and operational wise plus with the anti-pollution system problems that all of them have these days etc??? But I really miss my old 250 for towing. Grant you that these 3.5 ecoboost are amazing at towing but power is only a small part of hauling a trailer, 250-350 are the way to go if into RVing.

The 6.7 Diesel is amazing.
Best thing since the 3.5 ecoboost.
First they are completely designed and built by Ford now as opposed to contracted out to International as was the case with previous Powerstroke diesels.
The are now much more reliable.
They start easy, winter or summer, makes no difference.
They now haul “derriere” way more than before.

Moderators, see how I avoided a nasty word there in compliance with our audience friendly philosophy. ?

They literally go like a gas engine now.
Burnouts! The easiest thing ever.
No more slow, typical diesel, gradual acceleration.

The techs that work here praise them.
Yes regular maintenance more expensive than gas, but that is life with a diesel engine. Any diesel engine.
I’m not aware of any pollution control issues, such as regen issues.
We sell a lot of those here and they seem to only come in for oil changes and DEF refills.

I’m really only aware of one issue with one truck over last two years.
One guy’s DEF froze in his DEF tank in winter time.
They replaced the DEF tank on warranty.
I don’t know if heater coil let go or what.
It’s the only one I’ve seen outside regular maintenance.

Thanks Marc, I did do a lot of reading lately and found quite a bit of positive as well. And wow do they ever keep their value............lots of $$ for used ones out there. New ones are close to impossible to afford as not much deals or incentives on them.

I now only have one 6.7 diesel, I agree quite a good engine, decent fuel milage
and yes more expense on maintaining. 180 for oil change etc.
My 15 had a def heater go, not covered under drivetrain warranty.
$450 plus 2 hours labour to change, I was told thats the cheap one, there is two.
2nd one part of fuel delivery system and north of 1000 if it goes, I traded at 144,000 it did not go in that time.

That said, I replaced 2011 crew truck with 2019 diesel and I replaced my 2015 diesel with a 2019 gas.
I did the math, with cost of engine, maintenance it was not worth it for what I need.
So my new truck has 6.2 gas another very good engine.

My reasoning, I plow with it, so milage not great but wasn't with diesel either.
Cost more to take care of, and price of upgrade is $10,000
Also price of gas now is often cheaper than diesel.
I also don't haul much in summer, so not working super hard.
Milage to date is about 2km per hundred better in diesel fuel cost more than offset.

I have the savings at $4200 + in 4 years including resale, let you know in 3 years how right I am :)
Biggest decision would be how much are you hauling with it and how often.
The 6.2 has no issues hauling but likes fuel when its doing it, like similar to plowing snow :)

The new 7.3 gas would be interesting also ?? Watched a snowmobile show the other day and they were testing the new Tremor with that engine hauling a few sleds, very sweet but very pricey truck !! My ecoboost also loves gas when towing, actually likes it a lot but on a daily basis it does better than my wife's Edge! lol lol

Washed my truck today, likely going to give it a wax job, since I won't be going anywhere any time soon.
Its a 2016 2.7 eco boost. I have a question what is KAM? I read a post saying it would have to be reset. I wanted to clean the intake air sensors, and afterward the post said to reset KAM. I have no idea what this is.

Here's what I found on the Google Machine...

"Some of what has been posted is not entirely accurate and there is a much faster method to clear the KAM (Keep Alive Memory).
The KAM can be reset using a capable scan tool in a few seconds. If you don't have a capable scan tool disconnecting the PCM (computer) for 10 seconds will also work. Another method is to remove the positive battery cable and connect a jumper to the positive battery cable end to ground for 10 seconds.
If you leave the battery disconnected for a long enough period it will reset the KAM provided the back-up power supply is discharged. The backup power supply is mainly used for the air bags, but it will feed other modules for a period of time also.
It should also be noted that anytime you load a new tune into the PCM the KAM is reset also.
It normally takes about 50 to 100 miles for the PCM's adaptive strategy to relearn. When you 1st start the car after resetting the KAM you should let it idle a couple minutes with everything turned of in park/neutral. Then turn the a/c on for a few mins, and after that put the vehicle in gear for a few mins if you've got an auto trans. When your done relearning the idle strategy, drive the vehicle like you normally would. I do not recommend driving it in a manner out of the ordinary at this time."

Who would have thought!!

Interesting bit on the Tremor Roger.
The suspension is significantly less jarring than a regular Super Duty.
The benefits of off road suspensions.
Feels closer to a F150 than a Super Duty.
Feel it most in rear axel bounce going over expansion joints, for example.
Very compliant. Different than what Super Duties are usually like.
But, you’re right, the price is there.

Some of you may or may not have seen this before.
If you haven’t, I think its worth it.
It was made by Ford in 2011 for the introduction of the 3.5 ecobbost in the F150.
It is not doctored or embellished by Hollywood.
It gives a good idea of the reliability of the engine.

Like I mentioned above, the very first run had coughing issues in heavy rain. A slight increase in operating temperatures cured that issue never to be seen again.
The only issues I’m aware of have stemmed from poor management of heat in the turbos, some even self admitted.
The engine itself is pretty much bullet proof.
It has forged bottom end.
Since then, hp and torque have improved to 375 hp @ 5000 rpm and 470 tq @ 3500, along with better fuel economy and new 10 speed transmission.
And max tow capacity is now 13200 lbs. With properly equipped truck.

Enjoy! ?

Some of you may or may not have seen this before.
If you haven’t, I think its worth it.
It was made by Ford in 2011 for the introduction of the 3.5 ecobbost in the F150.
It is not doctored or embellished by Hollywood.
It gives a good idea of the reliability of the engine.

Like I mentioned above, the very first run had coughing issues in heavy rain. A slight increase in operating temperatures cured that issue never to be seen again.
The only issues I’m aware of have stemmed from poor management of heat in the turbos, some even self admitted.
The engine itself is pretty much bullet proof.
It has forged bottom end.
Since then, hp and torque have improved to 375 hp @ 5000 rpm and 470 tq @ 3500, along with better fuel economy and new 10 speed transmission.
And max tow capacity is now 13200 lbs. With properly equipped truck.

Enjoy! ?

I watched the whole video and to be honest I am more than impressed.
I have planned on in the future to have a 150 for personal use.
I always thought it would be a 5.0, after seeing this.
You have to seriously consider this engine as more than I would need.

I watched the whole video and to be honest I am more than impressed.
I have planned on in the future to have a 150 for personal use.
I always thought it would be a 5.0, after seeing this.
You have to seriously consider this engine as more than I would need.

I knew it was the premium engine, did not expect that kind of reliability. It was a interesting documentary.

My 2.7 is not as powerful, however when hauling my boat to the lake and loaded with gear it does not even blink. I have no complaints with mine. I suspect that test truck had the 6 speed transmission too, as does mine. No issues with mine, I am sure the 10 speed that has been out for a few years wold be better.

Reading Trevor’s post, I was going to suggest he consider the 2.7 if he feels the 3.5 may be more than he needs.

For the last year, the 2.7 is selling like crazy and taking market share away from the 5.0.
Much better fuel mileage and very close performance.
In fact, from a dead stop, the 2.7 pulls harder than the 5.0.
Again a result of low end torque.
All customers very happy. No regrets.
Some customers, swear they will never get anything but V8, were given 2.7 to test but not told what it was.
They come back exclaiming the power of V8’s.
They are some surprised when they are told it was the 2.7.
They think we’re yanking their chain.

Reading Trevor’s post, I was going to suggest he consider the 2.7 if he feels the 3.5 may be more than he needs.

For the last year, the 2.7 is selling like crazy and taking market share away from the 5.0.
Much better fuel mileage and very close performance.
In fact, from a dead stop, the 2.7 pulls harder than the 5.0.
Again a result of low end torque.
All customers very happy. No regrets.
Some customers, swear they will never get anything but V8, were given 2.7 to test but not told what it was.
They come back exclaiming the power of V8’s.
They are some surprised when they are told it was the 2.7.
They think we’re yanking their chain.
A friend of mine had the transmission on his 2010 Sierra go south and his buddy hauled his truck from Fredericton to Moncton on a flatbed towed by a new F150 with the 2.7 and they were both surprised by the power and the torque.

Back