Car Won't Start After Driving It!

GRIFF

Boy this one had me going!

I had been running around today killing time and doing some errands. Had driven around about an hour with 2 or 3 stops. Got the car home and stopped it in the driveway then tried to restart it 3 minutes later....it cranked and mis-started and died. Then no matter how much I cranked her it would not fire! Let it sit 20 minutes thinking it was from being hot...cranked but no ignition! Thinking maybe electronics had failed or something scary like that and figured I was looking at a tow to the garage! $$$$

After dealing with a couple of other things at home, I returned with a calmer head remembering that I have a SCT engine programmer for doing custom tunes on the engine and it also reads OBD codes. Plugged it in and checked for fault codes (first thing the garage would do perhaps). Got a P1260 code --Theft Detected Vehicle Immobilized? Cleared the code and the Stang started right off!

Just thought I would share this before filing it away for future reference! :)

I removed a remote car starter from my previous Mustang and it wouldn't start.I had to solder the immobilizer wires back together and off it went.

I’m no expert but I believe I experienced it or something like it last time I was at the track.
Lots of difficulty starting just moments after shutting down following a session.
Engine still very hot. Turned over. No start.
Try again. Appeared to struggle to turn over. Like pressure build up inside. No start.
Try again. Still seems to have trouble turning over.
No clue why then and there.
Never happened before, never happened since.
I was afraid I was flooding the engine.
New battery fully charged. Battery not the issue.
Only thing out of ordinary was very hot engine.
Then it fired and ran normal.
If it was not vapour lock, it was something similar.
I’d be interested to hear an expert or an informed opinion.
It’s always a good day when you can learn something new.

Back