Battery Maintenance

thundr

I am sure we all had to replace a battery or two over the years. It's crappy when you are stuck and have to replace it in a pinch cause you're stranded.

I replaced mine a few years back, the original only lasted 5 years or so. It seems the life is based on your maintenance, especially for cars that sit for the winter. I put the car on the trickle charger for the winter. The one I have is a electronic type that goes through a bunch of cycle to de-sulphate the plates, or something like that. Not much of a sparky so if anyone has more insight chime in.

Of course there are other types of batteries too, AGM and those yellow top Optima one. These are more expensive too.

I wanted a match to the stock type so I got a ford replacement.

Here's my question, is there a way to test a battery to see what the status is.

The best way is to put a fully charged battery on a load tester and see how it performs. Sangsters a local parts store, which is where I get my batteries, will test them for me if I'm suspicious of one

thundr;n1744 said:
Good to know, I have a few deep cycle batteries to check, I wonder if the test procedure is the same. I'll check it out.
Diesel auto & electric will test them for free also.

Thunder

I can access a couple of different testers through work that we could use at your home. The old faithful carbon pile load tester that requires a charged battery and / or a new electronic load tester, does 2 load cycles, watches recover time , and calculates good / recharge / junk status on even batteries that are not fully charged. Let me know if you want to try these options!

05 gt 5spd;n1839 said:
Thunder

I can access a couple of different testers through work that we could use at your home. The old faithful carbon pile load tester that requires a charged battery and / or a new electronic load tester, does 2 load cycles, watches recover time , and calculates good / recharge / junk status on even batteries that are not fully charged. Let me know if you want to try these options!

05 gt5spd,
That sounds great. Let me know how and when. No rush either.

Canadian Tire will test them for free too.

Everyone laughed at me when I bought a 25$ extended 9 years warranty on my battery 7 years ago. Last year I got a brand new one for free when mine died :D

Back