Advice on Speed Shops, Part Suppliers and Dyno Tune

Jason Carpenter

2012 GT premium black brembo
i am new on here and I am from newglasgow nova scotia. I have a 2012 GT premeium brembo black with a tune and exhaust. Wondering where the best Canadian part suppliers are also any good speed shops/dump tuners in the maritimes preferably Halifax or Moncton.

Welcome Jason.

Parts suppliers. Mustang direct guy is decent. There is the Mustang shop.
Of course in USA American Muscle, Steeda.com, Late model restoration and many others.
Sometimes it is better to know what parts your looking for.

As for Dyno's most here will tell you make the trip to (Pete's) Performance Dyno in NH.
For me, Nobody I would trust around here.

My neighbor just rebuilt a wrecked S197, V6 Fastback, replacing the original power-train with GT Running gear from another wreck, an 07, as well as upgrading the Suspension and brakes. He go the exhaust from a wrecked GT500, you guessed right, he works in a Salvage Yard. It just came out of paint, and he had nothing but good things to say about Mustang Direct. He got his wheels, tires and a lot of body related accessories from them. The latest parts he ordered from them in late June were picked up at their display in the Mustang Coral at the Atlantic Nationals, saving him shipping costs.

I have dealt with American Muscle on numerous occasions and was always treated good by them.

One place I won't recommend is Steeda.Ca, based out of Ontario.

Took forever to get what I had ordered, to find out that my Order was no processed a month after I placed it.

Welcome to the forum Jason.

On par with or better than Mustang Direct for Canadian suppliers is Dasilva Racing in Pickering Ontario. They are easy to find on the web. Dasilva Racing.com For American suppliers I would add CJ Pony Parts.

I've herd good things about the NH Dyno guy but have never been there. Some guys from my area have been. As much as Ohtobbad places his confidence in them, I place mine in Dasilva racing. A responsible business with a safe and conservative approach. They will stop short of extreme gains to ensure you don't blow up your stuff.
Joe Dasilva was world PRO 5.0 champion in 2000 and has been wrenching on Mustangs since his teen years. Him and his son, Matt, have quite a nice shop there. Between two cars, I've been there every year since 2007. From simple Cold Air Intake to big cams and ported heads, my cars run great, repeatedly, and trouble free, no check engine lights.
Once I'm on the road, instead of driving 7 or 8 hours to NH and deal with the border crossing, I just head west and drive the 11 hours to Pickering.

I've met Ted Lewchuck from Mustang Direct. He is a nice guy but has no Dyno at his small St-Catherine shop. He tunes by dumping numbers in the computer and taking test drives.

There is a guy that has a Dyno in the Moncton area, out towards St-Antoine or Shediac. I don't know his name or reputation. Moncton guys may be able to tell you more. You definitely want to check on the reputation of shops. Be careful they don't lean out your build to the point of making it susceptible to breaks. But don't let that keep you from exploring modifications. The reputable shops do very professional and reliable work.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so I include a couple pictures of Dasilva's shop from my last trip this past June. That is my car on the Dyno. I had just had a big cam and ported heads done along with intake manifold, oil pan and oil pump so it does not starve for oil. Redline bumped up to 7500 like the BOSS and upcoming 2018 GT's. I tried to attach a quick video of the Dyno pull but it takes forever to download.

It's a hobby full of knowledgeable people. If you're thinking of a modification, chances are very good someone already did it before you. Go to the Mustang shows and talk to the guys. Most are happy to share their experiences, good or bad. And they'll tell you why it was good and why it was not so good.

IMG_0927[1].JPG

IMG_0928[1].JPG

IMG_0930[1].JPG

IMG_0931[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0934[1].JPG
    IMG_0934[1].JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the helpful advice. I was just reading about the shop in Ontario. I wonder if I would save money next year when I go for a bit of boost I am thinking the eldebrock stage one to start possibly stage 2. But by goin to new Hampshire to have installed and tuned. I suppose the price of the dollar at the time would come into account. I was at the mustang corral at nationals and the Taylor ford show the last weekend but didn't really have a chance to talk to many ppl . Anyways that was some great advice excatly what I needed. Also I am having trouble getting a profile pic loaded any advice how I go about that

Yep heard nothing but good things about Dasilva Racing. Pete at Performance Dyno in New Hampshire is also very good. Guess the reason why we go the New Hampshire way is that it's quite a bit closer than Ontario.....but I wouldn't hesitate to take my car to either of them. It's one of those things where you find someone you trust and you stick with them no matter where they are.

DaSilva racing has good rep for sure, but long way to go.
Pete was a big time drag racer and many of us have been going to him for years.
When I built my 08, it was unique with a 4.6 Department of boost manifold and a GT 500 SC
only when in Canada at the time, Pete wrote the tune for it, sitting in my car.
Made sure it was within the limits and it performed amazing, including some 2500k cruise's.
Once I had an issue and we dealt with via, phone and internet, sorted it fairly quick.

One of the guys went down last year, with a Dasilva built car and had it tuned by Pete,
was the best it ever ran according to him.

I believe either choice will give you good results, as said above Pete is quite a bit closer.

Worth noting is that Steeda.ca is not related to Steeda.com except that they have the Canadian rights to sell Steeda components in this country. Two different entities all together.

Steeda.ca is much smaller. I too have ordered parts from them years ago and although I did not get the same level of "Non-Professional Service" as TrueBlue describes, I have not dealt with them past that initial one time.

You'll get much better from Mustang Direct or Dasilva any given day of the week.

Last edited:
Glad the information can help you. I was in Moncton last weekend too. I saw Canuck166's car there too but he was not around when I walked by.

You're right about the exchange rate and duties being a factor. Do you declare the labor or just parts at the border coming back? Will there be a hit on the labor or is that covered under NFTA as well? I don't have the answers and part of why I keep it Canadian.

Coincidence that Canuck166 bellow knows a bit a bout CBSA. He might be able to answer some questions for you on that.

The Roush and Ford Performance Whipple super chargers work exceptionally well with the Coyote engine. Edelbrock is very uncommon. Unless you have a specific or personal reason for wanting Edelbrock, I would counsel listening to the recommendations of these tuners. They know the combinations that work well together.

As for that tuner from the Moncton area, TrueBlue above is from the Moncton area. If he has not mentioned that guy, then he must not be well known or his reputation not established yet.

Hint! Spring and early summer is the craziest time of the year for these shops because everybody wants work done before they take their car out for the summer. Enquiring now for a fall or winter project gives you best chance at getting better pricing. If you have access to a trailer and can leave car at shop in fall or winter guarantees you best labour rates.

Good luck with your future projects, whether this fall or next summer.

Last edited:
Building a relationship of trust with your tuner is a big thing. When you can pick up the phone and have good conversation with them if an issue comes up.

No doubt geography plays a big part. I'm in Northern NB, and on the TCH corridor. My 11 hour drive to Pickering would be 16 or 17 hours for HRM area guys. It makes total sense for some of us to go to NH.

Getting back to the original question of is there reputable tuners in the Maritimes? It does not look like there is. I'm not aware of any. Whether you chose Pete in NH or decide to travel to Dasilva's, I'm confident you'll get good service. Be prepared to look beyond the Maritimes. Also, save up a bit. These are specialized services and come at a bit of a premium. You get what you pay for.

The idea of the e force supercharger came from looking on American muscle and the roush ford racing one was out of stock and I checked out the e force from eldebrock and brensport and they made it sound like a great fit for the mustang. I was original ally looking for the roush ford racing one and also has o wine used the tune that came with a supercharger. I have great mechanical help who has done engine rebuilds and gear changes that lasted well. Just curious how important a dunno tune is or is it safe to use the one that comes with supercharger. Until I make it to get a tune

I drove my car from NS to NH without a tune, keep the revs down and stay out of the boost.
If you get into the boost, you will put the car in limp mode. and it will shut down.
You have to un hook battery cables and wait 20-30 minutes, the it will reset.
A tune is key for performance, but even more for drivability.
and good tuner can make stock cars work better, with new SC its a must.

What about a tune that comes with the kit? Is that what u used or no tune at all? That's what I am really wondering is if u get one that comes with a tuner. Has any one had any luck running them until they get time/money to get a Dyno tune.i notice u can get most sc kits with or without tuner without a real price difference. I am sure they don't perform anything like dyno tuning it. But are they fairly safe until u decide to tune it?sorry to drag this on lol

My set up was totally custom, I already had a tune, but not for SC
Yours will likely come with a tune, if not you can use a canned tune and it will work,
some even tune via computer with decent success. Which will do you until you can get to dyno.

We normally go to Pete's in NH in spring as a group.
Last year only two of us went, this year we had 5.
Only 2 got dyno, but its fun trip :)

Hello Jason, with both the Roush or Ford Performance kits (Whipple makes the Ford SC under contract and badged Ford Performance/Racing instead of Whipple), both offer a canned tune with their kits from Roush and FP respectively and these are very safe to run. They are on the conservative side to preserve their warranty. When you buy these kits direct from Roush or FP they come with a limited warranty as long as you run their tune. So very safe to use. If you get a Dyno tune you void their warranty. They are conservative but will still give you very good performance gains.

For example, the Roush tune has a speed limiter built in along with a rev limiter. I know that on the kit for 5.0 liter F-150's the speed limit is set at 180 km/h.

I don't know the limit on the FP kit, but likely similar. This is why most people get a custom tune in short order.

Now, when you deal with American Muscle, you should clarify with them if they are giving you the Roush or FP tune and tuner, or what they are most likely giving you is one of their in house canned tune from BAMA performance. BAMA is AM's in house tuning arm but under a separate name. Marketing 101.

They will send you that in a SCT tuner and it will be based on other similar installs they have made using the same mods you plan. They will ask or you should call them and have this discussion with them. This will be less conservative then the Roush or FP tunes but should still be relatively safe. You can request that they make it conservative for you to prevent any damage. They will cater to your request. If you tell them you want a race tune, they will push the limit further, but I would not do that myself. A custom tune from a reputable tuner you trust would be more adviseable.

I have no personal experience with BAMA tunes. I hear mixt reviews. You should do more research if you are thinking that way.

Strictly for safety until you do go to Dyno, the factory kit tune from either Roush or FP are the safest. These will come in a company proprietary tuner from either one. I've seen the Ford tuner. It is neither a SCT or a Diablo. So, if buying from AM, check which tune they are sending with the kit and request what you want.

I've herd good things about Pete's place. I also know a guy from my way who had an engine blow up on Pete's Dyno. That did not hurt their relationship. The guy I know still only gets all his tuning done by Pete and swears by him. It was probably time for that engine to go. Stuff happens. This is why these tuners will get you to sign a waiver before they strap your car on the Dyno.

So if reliability and safety is your top priority, stick with those manufacturer tunes from either Roush or FP.
I'll finish with this nugget, there is probably a reason the Roush and FP are sold out and the e-force available...

Good luck.

This is my car btw

Attachments

• IMG_0960.PNG.jpg
    IMG_0960.PNG.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0961.PNG.jpg
    IMG_0961.PNG.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1337.JPG
    IMG_1337.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1342.JPG
    IMG_1342.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1375.PNG.jpg
    IMG_1375.PNG.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 0
Also wondering is anyone has had trouble with second gear in there mt82 trans. Mine crunches into second weather downshifting or first to second. It will shift without a crunch but u must be easy which is no fun. I put about 5000k on the car and it has 52000 total. It was shifting beautifully. It would not take the shifts my t56 in my built 95 firebird would. I figured out that it takes a little more finesse than jamming gears. Maybe too late. I have warrenty I added when I bought the car and am hoping it's not a big game of cat and mouse trying to find the problem or they don't try to say it works ok. Any ideas or anyone have problems with theirs. And any one running the t56 magnum? Wondering if that is the fix all I read about. I really love the gearing in the mt82 I love 1-2 shifts also so I really want this fixed.it shifts beautiful into 2-3 and 3-4 just 1-2. I always felt a touch of something but has progressively gotten worse. I made a few mistakes that may have helped i will admit it took a bit of getting used to

Last edited:
Back