99-04 GT automatic to 5 speed

2001BlackGTvert

Administrator
Staff member
Alright so here is the situation a friend of mine has the same model year car as mine. Mine is an Automatic and his is a 5 speed. I have always wanted mine to be a stick and he is having leg issues and is having a hard time with the clutch. He has asked if I wanted to swap and he would pay half the labor of changing everything over. Anyone know anyone local that would be able to do this type of job? Transmission shops are crazy as I called to get an idea. I am really thinking of doing this it just needs to be reasonable.

2001BlackGTvert;n16219 said:
Alright so here is the situation a friend of mine has the same model year car as mine. Mine is an Automatic and his is a 5 speed. I have always wanted mine to be a stick and he is having leg issues and is having a hard time with the clutch. He has asked if I wanted to swap and he would pay half the labor of changing everything over. Anyone know anyone local that would be able to do this type of job? Transmission shops are crazy as I called to get an idea. I am really thinking of doing this it just needs to be reasonable.

I know guys around here, but no one in your area.

Yeah I am sure there are some around here that have done it. My buddy would do it but he is extremely busy right now. Someone will pop up.

Yeah but if it is winter we would need to be able to have them both inside at the same time. Would like to pull out the auto from mine. Roll it outside and pull the standards out of his and put the auto in his and then finish mine after.

Well looks like I am back on the hunt for a 5 speed transmission for my swap. Parts car would be awesome. The guys wife put her foot down and will not let him trade yet because he is not down and out yet so no need to give up on his 5 speed yet.

finding everything for the swap, should not be that difficult.
search a few wrecking years for wrecked car. that could be your donor.

I am wondering how much of a wiring harness job it would be. I don't really know, but worth doing some research on this. A donor car would be the smart plan as you never know just what you might need.

Yeah the donor car is definitely a good idea. As long as you can get some history on the transmission.

The wiring is supposed to be pretty straightforward from what I have read. Just a few small tweets one being a neutral switch. Programming of the computer would be necessary

As much as it would be nice to help your friend Charlie, think about down the road when you may need an automatic due to age related physical limitations.I love my 5 speed , but honestly, a 55, there are times I wish I had an automatic. There will be a a day in 5,10 years when you are tired of shifting in bumper to bumper traffic. Your friend should just trade or sell and get an automatic.

Yeah I know. I have given it some thought as well. I just would like a 5 speed for a few years and I get the argument both ways for sure. Pros and cons for both I agree. Automatic definitely a plus in traffic. Standard more torque and a bit more fun factor at times. Decisions

The solution would be to get a Fox Body 5.0 5 Speed, or a 5 Speed New Edge GT Coupe to park next to your Awesome New Edge Vert in your garage.

Back