07 GT/CS

Justinflood

I got my hands on a deal I couldn’t pass up (although I’m sure that’s what everyone says lol). Picked up this 07 GT/CS one owner vert. Florida car. Putting a few miles on it over the last week or two and now taking the next step into mods. It came with a k and n intake in the trunk, but there is no part number on it and I’m wondering if it’s not on because it was making the car run lean as there is no tune.. will be digging a little deeper on that. As for my first few things, I ordered a shorty antenna, new headlights and fog lights and shift boot. Looking at the coyote tail lights and some hood struts too, it’s at the body shop now getting the front clip redone as the rock chips were out of this world. Rest of the paint(including underneath) is like showroom. Now time to decide if I’m going to do handling/suspension or power. Will need a top down the road as it sat down most of its life in the Florida sun and has a few black marks from the hydraulics(it’s not leaking thank god). But if anyone has some suggestions or tips on their own builds of these years, I’m all ears!!

Attachments

• E3C4235C-6CF4-4EF0-8A0B-53D2BC7DB667.jpeg
    E3C4235C-6CF4-4EF0-8A0B-53D2BC7DB667.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 8D8463F0-012D-47A3-9DDC-E5A4F5BF4ADE.jpeg
    8D8463F0-012D-47A3-9DDC-E5A4F5BF4ADE.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 24
  • F9C3C1B3-E0C5-4DE0-A244-EBF1C81F1D1F.jpeg
    F9C3C1B3-E0C5-4DE0-A244-EBF1C81F1D1F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 21
Looks like solid car. If you were to change out the roof would you go with same colour or black?
Welcome aboard!
As far as mods go, you will soon determine after driving the car what's important to you. Power is great, but you need to get it to the ground.
BTW your uncles collection is awesome!

Nice car! you should scoot into my build tread around here whenever you have a little bit of time on your hands. Power (S/C) wise tho, you'll have to speak that out with Ohtobbad, his 08 was rad!
As he say, we're allll good at spending others money (well, they're good at spending mine anyways ?). Can't wait to see where you'll take your build.

cheers!

First thing i did was get an Sct tuner. I find it just makes these cars work so much better, it's also an obd reader so thats a bonus. Some suspension, tires and rims, then some go fast parts.. we can all give you tips along the way as to what has worked or not worked for us. Good luck on your build.

Congratulations on the purchase.
Welcome to the forum.
Although something tells me you felt just a bit of pressure to join from the owner of a certain blue car. ?

I’ve done a lot to 3 valve S-197’s.
Start using 91 octane only, if not already done.
Then, definitely suspension first.
Brakes are actually pretty good on these cars if staying under 400 hp and not building excess heat in them such as going on track or doing autocross.

Except for his engine and transmission, your father-law’s car is identical to yours.
So if you like the results of the suspension bits he did, do the same.
No need to reinvent the wheel.
If you can manage it, I would simply counsel to do it all in one shot.
That way you won’t be into labour costs to take apart the same components 2 or 3 times.

List to button everything up would read as follows:
-Springs and dampers all around.
Since car is 13 years old, strongly consider upgraded strut mounts.
-Sway bars front and rear.
-Rear Lower Control Arms,
-Relocation brackets for said LCA’s.
-Adjustable Panhard bar.
Panhard brace optional.
-Camber bolts to complete alignment.
Caster-Camber plates optional in lieu of both strut mounts and camber bolts.
If using CC plates they replace the strut mount and no need for camber bolts.

Aaron used Eibach pro kit springs for 1.25” drop in front and 1.5” drop in back.
Those are the most popular/common springs and drop for 05 to 14 Mustangs.
If you find that a bit low for your taste, I would counsel Ford Racing “P” springs that would drop your car 1” all around.
Incidentally, they are made by Eibach for Ford.

Aaron’s choice of Eibach dampers and sway bars is excellent.
Only other dampers I would counsel would be Bilstein or Ford Racing.
Go with the Eibach sway bars. The best.
Also incidentally, Eibach makes the sway bars for Ford Racing.

As for his choice of BMR for LCA’s, relo. brackets and Panhard bar, do the same.
You’ll be hard pressed to find better elsewhere.
Same for his choice of Maximum Motorsports for CC plates, should you opt to go that route.

Note in case you are wondering:
Replacing of rear Upper Control Arm is not necessary.
It is a much shorter piece therefor it’s added benefit is much less than the LCA’s.
Really not necessary unless you are building a race car or making huge power.
And even then it can be added at anytime without undoing any of the other stuff previously done.
Down side to UCA is it is more prone to increasing NVH, Noise, Vibration and Harshness.
LCA’s, unless spherical bearing type, don’t really increase NVH but add noticeable return.

After all the above, you won’t recognize your car.
Much more fun to toss around those roundabouts in Charlottetown.
Then better tires (and possibly wheels) will maximize it all with added mechanical grip and stronger sidewalls.

Enjoy the process.
It’s fun to compare the results to what it was before.

that being said ( above) fastest and cheapest HP gains.
is proper cold air kit and tune, trip to Pete's dyno
with us next spring, alsways fun and cheapest gains.
small exhaust work will also be affordable.
after this HP gains get pricey, plan well and get good returns on $$$

doing research, knowing end game before starting normally saves big dollars.
From handling to HP, what you want when done. from mild to wild.
plan, research first, will give far better results.

Previous advice above about getting an SCT tuner is very good advice.
Even if it does not unlock lots of extra power at this point, the biggest benefit is that it will improve your throttle response and that will make your car more fun to drive.

These cars are throttle by wire and the factory tune is not responsive.
There is a delay between pressing the gas pedal and the actual throttle increase.
It makes it hard to rev match, for example, if you are downshifting with a manual car.
You have to hold your foot down so long for throttle response that it breaks up the rhythm

Or if your car is automatic, it will also change the shift points to make them more performing.
Transmission will hold gear longer before shift so you exploit power more with higher rpm.

Either way, it makes the car more fun to drive.

One consideration is to think long term and to start building a relationship with a tuner now.
So although tuners are available anywhere, chances are you will eventually want or need to visit a dyno for fine tuning.
Around you parts, most people go to Pete’s in Mew Hampshire, where Aaron has gone himself before.
So I would consider buying my tuner from him at the start and share with him your vision for the future.
That way the relationship will already be started when you do pay him a visit.
Chances are he may just sell you a canned tuner, but who knows, if you specify your transmission, he may tweak the shift points for you if automatic equipped.
Or if you know which cold air intake you plan on getting, he might possibly dump one of his proven custom tunes for that specific CAI.

For a CAI on a three valve 4.6L at this time, I would suggest you seriously consider the JLT series 3 as your only option.
It works great on its own and will be able to support other mods later should you chose to keep going, such as long tube headers or cams.

I would strongly advise against the thought of re-using that K&N in the trunk.
In 2005 and early days of the S197, it was an option among others.
But in 2020 we now know there are far better options available. Since it is not currently on the car, the best place for that item is your recycling bin.

Regards.

Last edited:
Back