• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 gt 5spd
    started a topic My 1972 F250 project

My 1972 F250 project

ECD0A581-6735-457F-85A2-02779B68CA3E.jpeg

This project started in spring of 1972 when my Dad bought this truck, it was less than 6 months old. Built in Ontario in Sept of 1971 and picked up at the factory by the original owner . Dad needed a truck for the garage and this came home. F250 4x4 ,360 cid V8 , 4 speed trans, 2 speed divorced transfer case, light duty front end (closed knuckle Dana 44 ) with manual locking hubs, power brakes, manual steering built as Sport Custom trim level. 7.50 x 16 nylon Jeep service lug tires on split wheels and a dealer installed step bumper.

As the truck needed to earn its keep it was soon equipped with a Fisher 8’ power angle snow blade which would remain on the truck until the early 2000’s . The last vehicle inspection expired in 1996 . The truck received a thick coating of grease graphite undercoating when it arrived in Guysborough .
    I credit that application of undercoating and a couple of Dad’s additional guards in making the truck last. What you see is all original doors, fenders, box sides etc.

About 2004 Dad repaired 2 small holes in the bottom of the doors and the truck was prepped and painted and went in the building you see in the picture . The spark plugs were removed, the cylinders oiled and the truck was covered and did not move until May of 2018.

• S197CS
    replied
    Wow i really need to go see that truck!! Love following your adventure Gerry!

Leave a comment:

• 05 gt 5spd
    replied
    Yes that was coolant! Looks like I’m going to be changing 6 frost plugs !

ordered the 49/64” steel plugs and started the disassembly .

To to get the plugs out, the rear 4 were easy- just the starter and the exhaust had to move. I’m glad I saw the drip before I reinstalled the exhaust!
    the front two are another story. Motor mounts have to come out to access them so the engine has to lift. Moved the engine crane in place and with a few hammer blows form Brian the front plugs were in.

looking at the old ones it seems Dad had already replaced 1 with steel and two with rubber sometime previously.

Here is is what came out

BB1192BC-5099-4422-B2CF-D6AFFC6E3F91.jpeg
    I’m glad to have that job done. Added new coolant , a thermostat, and a new temp sensor to fix the heat gauge and all is done - right ?

Leave a comment:

• 2001BlackGTvert
    replied
    Looking nice Gerry. I cannot wait to see this beast.

Leave a comment:

• 05 gt 5spd
    replied
    Since I was working at it I decided to add a battery disconnect switch

3B2F0A43-CE6B-4586-BF84-A62B5D0C62CB.jpeg

The air cleaner looked crappy so I blasted and painted the base and cover- time for another can of Ford Blue!

47226DDD-98D7-4387-B5B3-A288E776477D.jpeg

Installed a new new air cleaner element -

What is that on the floor? Coolant?

Round 2 of surprises to come!

Leave a comment:

• 05 gt 5spd
    replied
    Well every project, just as it seems all is going well the project will throw you a surprise. A few weeks ago I had the truck all ready for the road so I took it to work one day. When I returned home I decided to change the oil a second time - after another 100 miles of running from sitting since 1996.
    The oil stated to drain then - nothing - the opening was plugged with sludge!
    Now the oil pan had to come down to see how bad things looked.
    To get the oil pan down the exhaust has to drop. And on it goes. I was able to clean the pan and get the oil pump pick up cleaned - then wait for the new oil pan gaskets . I cleaned and painted the pan while it was off- back to Ford Blue.

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t8C6F12A9-C111-404B-86CD-FE2E365B6094.jpeg Views:\t0 Size:\t112.7 KB ID:\t31150","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"31150","data-size":"medium"}

Painted the pan

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t3F1A219B-B16E-4EAA-A40E-4DF0AE7E65CD.jpeg Views:\t0 Size:\t81.3 KB ID:\t31151","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"31151","data-size":"medium"}

Almost back to where I started. New oil and filter added.
    Last edited by 05 gt 5spd; 12-Jun-2019, 09:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ohtobbad
    replied
    Got out to Gerry's for a chat, coffee and to see truck again.
    Last time was March, so Truck with few things done and all cleaned up
    it is some pretty, what a cool truck.
    Made it to its first car show yesterday, but Gerry can tell you that story.

Leave a comment:

• TrueBlue02058
    replied
    That Truck at the Atlantic Nationals would get more attention than the majority of our Mustangs.

Leave a comment:

• Ohtobbad
    replied
    I hope to get out this weekend and see the updates since later winter

Leave a comment:

• TrueBlue02058
    replied
    Truck looks Great Gerry, and from what You have described is certainly Road Worthy. Happy Travels.

Leave a comment:

• 67 AGAIN
    replied
    Very nice truck and story indeed.
    Cool!

Leave a comment:

• Mineral Grey
    replied
    Wow that truck looks awesome, love the whole story ..Would love to see it in person

Leave a comment:

• 05 gt 5spd
    replied
    132F3F30-BE6B-4733-BDBB-B47609321F1C.jpeg
    Getting closer, washed 15 years of dust off

Leave a comment:

• 05 gt 5spd
    replied
    Well after a full year back at my place I’m close to back on the road ! There were a few surprises(leaks) after topping up fluids so new seals in the transfer case and both differential pinions were in order. A quick oil and filter change to get rid of the 15 year old oil and a carb kit were in order to get the 360 back to life. A trip around the driveway and I found that the front brake wheel cylinders on both sides were a bit rusty and leaking so they were replaced. Front and rear bumpers were cleaned, rear one painted and installed after making new brackets, mirrors painted and new stainless hardware used to install the brackets . The doors went back together after replacing the window rubbers on the drivers side.
    A look at the frost plugs in the old 360 made for another project, replaced all 6 of them with new. I found out the rear 4 are easy, the front 2 required removing the motor mounts and the front tires but the job is done. Fresh coolant and a new thermostat finished up that part of the project. Don’t use 1-3/4” they are too small, you need 1 -49/64” to get the proper fit . (Had that advice from DAD)
    He was 100% correct.

Almost ready for a road trip. Time for the Mechanical fitness inspection ( passed , no issues) so I now have Antique plates and am legal for the road.

Last edited by 05 gt 5spd; 04-Jun-2019, 10:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 05 gt 5spd
    replied
    We took the truck from its resting place for the last 15 years
    IMG_0145.JPG

Loaded on the borrowed trailer - and yes I towed it home with a GMC

IMG_0166.JPG
    Just before it left we took a picture of the Three amigo's - 3 generations - As you can see we all dressed up for the photo.

IMG_0436.JPG

And backed it in to its new home! Thanks to Alex and Brian who came along for the move

IMG_0170.JPG

Still have a bunch of parts to pick up - Dad keeps finding parts he bought and put away.

Last edited by 05 gt 5spd; 13-May-2019, 09:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X