Need help deciding what to do with my transmission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help deciding what to do with my transmission

Hi folks, I'm in a dilemma on what I should do with my transmission. I'm having problems with my syncros 1-2... Should I get the original tranny upgraded with better TR 3650 parts or get a TKO 500 Transmission that can handle 500hp. I may want to upgrade in the future to potentially get 500hp out of the engine.
    I'm limited to who can rebuild a Transmission in my area (with no warranty) or go with a new transmission and get a warranty for a lot more...4500 taxes, & shipping in.
    From PEI
    67 AGAIN, TrueBlue02058 and 2 others like this.

Originally posted by RoyalDragoon View Post
    Hi folks, I'm in a dilemma on what I should do with my transmission. I'm having problems with my syncros 1-2... Should I get the original tranny upgraded with better TR 3650 parts or get a TKO 500 Transmission that can handle 500hp. I may want to upgrade in the future to potentially get 500hp out of the engine.
    I'm limited to who can rebuild a Transmission in my area (with no warranty) or go with a new transmission and get a warranty for a lot more...4500 taxes, & shipping in.
    From PEI
    Thats tough, it really depends on how good the transmission guy is and
    How much its going to be to rebuild. You could look at used with low KM's.
    Nothing easy or cheap about it. Love to know what you decide and do.
    67 AGAIN, RoyalDragoon and 2 others like this.
    2016 GT350R
    5.2 Flat plane crank V-8

Comment

Low km from a salvage yard and they usually give 90 days warranty.. And a total rebuild on a manual should be no more than $3500 even with the upgraded parts, and should have a year warranty..
      Saint John has a real good transmission shop. Might be worth a call to them, they did my automatic last year and installed upgraded internals and clutches ..
      ​​​Should save you about $1k from buying new ..

67 AGAIN, RoyalDragoon and 2 others like this.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. What kind of horsepower and torque can the stock TR 3650 handle. Someday, I'd like some kind of power adder... And at least a TKO 500 would be up to the job.
        67 AGAIN, TrueBlue02058 and Ohtobbad like this.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalDragoon View Post
          Thanks for the advice. What kind of horsepower and torque can the stock TR 3650 handle. Someday, I'd like some kind of power adder... And at least a TKO 500 would be up to the job.
          I remember hearing something like 400. But You are correct, with the TKO 500 there would be less worries. "You can Pay me now, or You can Pay me later", comes to mind.
          2001 BULLITT Mustang, # 02058 , of 5582 Built , one of 722 Produced in True Blue. MGW Short Throw Shifter, K & N Filter , Projector Headlights , Smoked LED 3rd Brake Light.

Comment

I'm not a transmission expert but have done lots of modding.
            My philosophy is: "If you're spending on something, make it better than original".
            I call it investing in my car, not modifying.
            Anything I touch gets improved upon.
            From seats to exhaust, wheels to brakes, or tires to suspension to induction.
            If I replace it, I replace with something stronger, lighter or better performing.
            You're already saying you're thinking about boosting in future.
            You might as well lay a foundation now. Translation: TKO 500.
            I like Fred's quote above: "Pay the man now or pay him later".

Comment

Working...
            X