Sensitive Steering at Highway speeds

I'm trying to figure out if there is a problem with the power steering on my 83 Fox Body being so quick and sensitive at Highway speeds or if this sensitivity is normal.
I must admit the Mustang is the first RWD drive car I've driven in over 35 years and I am more familiar with the feeling of the steering in FWD and AWD vehicles and those fitted with speed sensitive steering.
I also know the front and rear shocks and probably some of the suspension bushings should probably be replaced. Despite being sensitive the car doesn't drift one way or the other and will run straight if you release the wheel, telling me that the alignment must pretty good. I've also read that this is a common problem on the earlier Mustangs designed to run on Bias Ply and the early radials. The solution was to increase the Caster up to +2 and or put a larger pulley on the power steering pump to slow the pump down
At present I'm currently running 4 brand new P205-70 R14 tires mounted on steel factory rims, which are the factory standard tire for the vehicle.
Any suggestions anyone may have would be appreciated

I just replaced the steering rack on Angie's 83 GLX and it improved the feeling of the steering but it's still what I would call vague. As far as I can tell the steering rack bushings were original. I'll eventually replace the upper control arms and springs if it gets any worse but for how we use it now it's fine.

I am not sure how much is worn out parts or touchy from factory.
Obviously I would want worn out parts fix, especially if its steering
and front end. But other than that I like fast reaction, guess that's
personal choice.

I'm kind of laughing as I read this.
A buddy of mine, who could easily afford a new GT350 or upcoming GT500, recently bought a 1990 GT because it was in good shape and he was nostalgic for the 1988 GT he had in high school.
Only a few months after purchase he now wants to sell it.
His quote was that he took it for a spin and "it drives like a piece of crap compared to today's cars".
You bought a 33 year old car. Things are going to be different.
I owned a 1989 GT for about 6 months in 94-95,including winter storage. I can't remember how it drove.
I remember it felt powerful and fun.
I bought in October of 94 and sold in spring of 95 to put together down payment on a house during a kind of surprise transfer.
I'm sure there is lots of difference in driving dynamics compared to today's cars.
Heck, there is huge difference in handling between S197 Mustang (2005 to 2014) and S550 (2015 and up) just based on the IRS.
You notice it some going from S197 up to S550, but you sure notice it a lot more when you go back down to S197 from S550.
I've done it, back to back, on a track. Had to re-learn how to drive my car.
It's worth the experience if you have the opportunity.
Good luck. Didn't mean to highjack.
Totally enjoyed the chuckle though.

Ohtobbad;n26605 said:
I am not sure how much is worn out parts or touchy from factory.
Obviously I would want worn out parts fix, especially if its steering
and front end. But other than that I like fast reaction, guess that's
personal choice.

When I got the car inspected I asked the mechanic if he though the front end other than shocks required rebuilding and he said everything was tight and figured it was probably rebuilt in the last year or so

67 AGAIN;n26623 said:
I'm kind of laughing as I read this.
A buddy of mine, who could easily afford a new GT350 or upcoming GT500, recently bought a 1990 GT because it was in good shape and he was nostalgic for the 1988 GT he had in high school.
Only a few months after purchase he now wants to sell it.
His quote was that he took it for a spin and "it drives like a piece of crap compared to today's cars".
You bought a 33 year old car. Things are going to be different.
I owned a 1989 GT for about 6 months in 94-95,including winter storage. I can't remember how it drove.
I remember it felt powerful and fun.
I bought in October of 94 and sold in spring of 95 to put together down payment on a house during a kind of surprise transfer.
I'm sure there is lots of difference in driving dynamics compared to today's cars.
Heck, there is huge difference in handling between S197 Mustang (2005 to 2014) and S550 (2015 and up) just based on the IRS.
You notice it some going from S197 up to S550, but you sure notice it a lot more when you go back down to S197 from S550.
I've done it, back to back, on a track. Had to re-learn how to drive my car.
It's worth the experience if you have the opportunity.
Good luck. Didn't mean to highjack.
Totally enjoyed the chuckle though.

Guess I must retrain my 62 year old brain to remind itself as to what it was like to drive an older RWD car like my original and not quite so powerful 75 Mustang and Ford Granada in comparison to all the FWD & AWD vehicles I've driven over the last 35 - 40 years

TrueBlue02058;n26620 said:
And I would upgrade to 225/60R15 on SSP Rims. Those 14" 205s with a 5.0 must squeal pretty good. :FordSmile

Yes I've squealed the tires a couple of times taking off while turning at an intersection.
You maybe right upgrading the tires and rims would probably help by putting more load on the steering system and reduce the sensitivity. However my goal is to keep the car as close to original as possible with stock 14" Alloy wheels and tires. So upgrading to a larger diameter tire & wheels is not in the plan at this time. The tires I have are new and pretty plain Jane with the white walls on the inside. I've also read that 215 70 R 14 tires will fit the stock 14' rims. So I'm thinking about maybe putting on a set of BF Goodrich TA's on it sometime in the future and maybe the wider footprint will help.

Even in a 215/65/14 in a BF Goodrich Radial TA or similar Sport Tire would make a difference. I had an 83 Monte Carlo with a stock 305 4 barel from 83 to 88. Stick Tire size was 195/75R14. The Catyletic Converter plugged up on it so for $20 my mechanic beat the innards out of it and reinstalled it so it would pass Provincial Inspection. Man did that ever wake that 305 up. By then U had upgraded tires to H speed rated white wall Bridgestones. Then that 305 would smoke the rear tires.

:FordSmile

New tire size was 205/70HR14. On an H rated tire in a lower aspect sidewall (75 to a 70) the stiffer sidewalls really improved the handling too along with the rest sway bar and new heavy duty shocks I will installed.

I know I'm going to have to replace the rear shocks and probably the rear springs and sway bars.as well. There is little or no travel left in the shocks to the point I don't like taking any tight turn ramps like coming off the 118 on to the 111 here in Dartmouth at any kind of speed because the car heels over and sways quite badly. The car is riding so low I'm nervous about driving over speed bumps

That sounds exactly how Angie's 83 first handled when we got it. We've changed the front and rear shocks which made a huge difference, the new steering rack also took out some of the looseness. I think it'd take a a lot to make it handle as well as a modern car.

83_4eyes_Convertible;n26634 said:
Guess I must retrain my 62 year old brain to remind itself as to what it was like to drive an older RWD car like my original and not quite so powerful 75 Mustang and Ford Granada in comparison to all the FWD & AWD vehicles I've driven over the last 35 - 40 years

"Granada", my grandmother had one of those.
Now there's a car that had body roll, numb on-center feel and a floaty front end.
I could feel that from the passenger seat before my teens.

Ohtobbad;n26647 said:
A wider footprint and better quality of tire will help.
Also better traction and overall performance.

These words are gospel.
Four little contact patches are all that hold your 1.5 ton chariot on the road.

Rich06;n26659 said:
That sounds exactly how Angie's 83 first handled when we got it. We've changed the front and rear shocks which made a huge difference, the new steering rack also took out some of the looseness. I think it'd take a a lot to make it handle as well as a modern car.

Aftermarket suspension upgrades work marvels on the new Mustangs, as far along as they have come...
They will definitely help the old cars too.
Difference is in the 80's, it wasn't cool to modify.
Now it is.

The front toe settings could be one of the reason's it feels twitchy.. It doesn't take a lot to affect the handling. A little to much toe in can make the car feel nervous, but will help bring the steering back to center, (thus the staying straight when you released the steering wheel)...
A little to much toe out, usually makes a car wander, so the steering is needing constant adjustment. Other factors such as the road crown, or compression ruts, can play a roll as well.
Camber is another factor, without adjustable control arms, you can't do much about that. Worn bushings on the control arms could play a roll.though.

Back