My New Daily Driver (direct from Japan?!)

As it is going to be a daily Driver, if you want to preserve the body and structural integrity, I would recommend that you get it Rust Checked Annually if you plan on keeping it for an extended period of time. With only 50,000 kilometers it would be worth it.

I have been getting my vehicles Rust Checked since 1986 by Gary Pellerin in Moncton. His Shop is on West main Street. For a car that size regular price is $120. He has a $20 off even for the entire month of August.

I bought a Cavalier in 95 used with 20,000 kilometers, had it rust checked every year and when I traded it for a new Ranger in 07 it had 323,000 kilometers and the body and under carriage was like new. The gas tank was still shiny once you wiped off the layer of Rust check.

https://www.monctonautopro.com/

As for your experience with Allstate, I have never heard anything good said about them.

$1,000 sounds like a lot of money for one car, especially when it is one of at least 3 that you must have on the road.

As I said above, one of the issues with imports for sale are some of this mentioned.
Mostly kids want the RHD performance cars, they can't finance them, expensive to insure.
Also importing cars is tricky, especially if your trying to make a buck.
Legally anymore than 4 a year, you need a dealers lic.
Occasionally you will get one that's hard to get through customs.
Also if you do enough, you will get one that needs something.
getting parts for some of these cars can be tricky.

torch;n32270 said:
Thanks for raining on my parade!

not at all, I think what you did makes sense. Small risk involved, but good deal,
insurance a little high, but all in all good move.

Buying to sell is a business, even if small. Lesson one in any business venture
know your market, good and bad points and go in with eyes wide open.
Done right can still make money.

Question, you told us what it cost, what's it worth to sell?

torch;n32272 said:
Haha, I'm just joking. You are making good points.

For selling price, your guess is as good as mine. Sample size is very small even at a National level, see this link:
https://www.autotrader.ca/cars/suba...rue&wcp=True&sts=Used&inMarket=advancedSearch

Nothing even close to my mileage, but there's one with 75k for $9800, 105k for $9100, etc.

Anything cheap is going to be really high mileage and beat up

So based on that you could turn approx, 2500 to 3500 profit, depending on selling time etc.

I would have to think the insurance issue for RHD is supported by left hand turns in traffic,not to mention trying to pass a truck in the rain.

There is a Toyota around here,not sure of the model,sports car though,maybe an older MR2,and I never see his face when meeting him in traffic,freaky seeing a driverless car coming at you for a second

Quite a few here in HRM, I even believe the young folks have a club for them.
They mod, do shows etc. One goes to the track on a regulars basis.

Not that expensive to get here, but I do believe insurance along with a few
other things are issues.

Yup. Driving it felt natural after just a few days for sure. I don't drive it every day, but you really don't even think about it while driving now until you get that 'look' from someone. It's funny. Sometimes people will just stare at me, and it's like they know something is different, but they can't quite put their finger on it for a few seconds.

Probably wouldn't import a second RHD car from Japan, but I still check regularly on a few models in Japan that are LHD. Audi's BMW's, etc. There are some really nice older examples there.

See a lot of right hand drive vehicles here being used by Canada Post contractors, a lot easier delivering to the rural route mailboxes.

My neighbour has a right hand drive, what looks like an older RX7.

Would certainly take some getting used to, especially shifting left handed.

There's a thought Phil, Kids that are driving the Forester can get a summer job with Canada Post delivering mail to help pay for their Education. ;)

Yeah I can bet it would take a bit of getting used to. I never thought of passing a truck or any vehicle for that matter. Could be very tricky.

Having driven lots of RHD vehicles across Europe, LHD vehicles in the UK, and obviously my Suzuki Samurai, which is RHD from the UK, over here in Canada - I can corroborate it’s not such a big deal, just the insurance that can kill you.

Back