Just Out of Storage Oil Change?

GRIFF

Normally I do an oil change (regular oil) in the fall just before parking the Stang and then put new (synthetic oil) in the spring so i am ready for the season. Thinking is any potential condensation is dealt with. However last year I used synthetic oil (forgot to stipulate at the garage) in the fall instead of regular oil. So now I am having a debate with myself -- is synthetic good to leave in and just run for the season -- or should I be changing it out with fresh synthetic oil? Thought and suggestions welcome!

I always lead my old oil on for storage and put the new synthetic in in the spring. That being said I know many people change their oil in the fall so it is ready for the spring. Changing your oil before and after is definitely a good thing but I would not be afraid to drive it now without changing. But that is just me. Where it was stored and the temp does have something to do with it as well I am sure.

I was told to store it with Fresh oil. So the day before it goes into storage end of October it get a full synthetic oil change with Premium Extended Service Filter. Storage is dry and climate controlled, so I change the oil once a year, end of October as I typically only drive 5 to 8 thousand kilometers per summer.

Too each their own I guess. I have never had any issues in the 10years I have been doing it. I was always told that the oil may condensate in storage and that is why I do it in the spring. There are all kinds of arguments either way out there.

I've done two changes before (spring and fall) and last year I left it with the old oil in and changed it a couple weeks ago just after I picked it up. Fresh oil in the spring is probably a good thing I'd say. Many different answers for that question depending on who you ask. :)

If it's warm and climate controlled in storage (and you have the synthetic) I wouldn't think it would be an issue.

Last edited:
I do mine in the Spring, but I change my oil more than most.
I rolled 19,000km on first spin of the year and I am about
to do my 7th oil change.

I'd pick one and stick with it, flip flopping between regular dino oil and synthetic personally doesn't seem to be the best solution to save a couple of bucks. I'd go full synthetic, but thats just me, everyones mileage and comfort level may vary. As far as spring vs fall, I used to do both as well on my '06, get the bad oil out for the winter, get the possible condensation out from storage in the spring.

As I get older, I can't be bothered, full synthetic and regular oil changes at around 7500km, although I'm considering going to 10k and don't bother worrying about the spring/fal debate, it gets changed when the interval is up.

I use the Extended Service Oil Filters that state on the box are good for a year or 24,000 kilometers.

So 10,000 would be no problem once a year if you use a Premium Filter. I wouldn't go the 24,000 but 12,000 would be my max. Seeing that I only put 6,000 to 8,000 a summer once a year is good for me.

Cganged oil with synthetic just begore storage. Stored in my own garage this winter and temp stayed around 5 degrees in heated garage. Maybe that would reduce risk of condensation in storage. Lots of different opinions it seems on whether to change in spring again.

I have on several cars, cut the oil filter open after a change.
For the most part it looks good, but on performance cars if
occasionally driven with spirit, you will find the odd filing or
inconsistent oil, IMO it is one of the cheapest things you can do
to your car, especially a car that you want to last and perform.
regardless of what the manufacture says or on some companies ads
or boxes, I change it often. Not sure spring or fall makes a massive difference
in our climate, with rapid temp changes you can bet you get condensation
and not only when it sits for winter. what about when it sits for 2 weeks?
In the last year I have noted over 20 days with 20 degree temp swings in
less than 12 hours, this will create problems unless you are running them daily
or very often. Saving on oil changes seems the wrong direction to me.

No different than changing brake fluid, I do it at least yearly more often if I go to the track.
I have already done a complete build swap on car along with filters, will do another
at some point this summer. Brake fluid like your brakes loses power over time, cheap and easy fix
take a look at it, should be very clean.

Hmmm my 2 cents

Pick an oil , brand and quality and stick with it ; additive packages change between companies and can cause issues.
Use a good quality filter - most OEM’s have a performance filter that is worth the extra $.

If in doubt - Change it out. If an early oil change gives you peace of mind - spend the money and rest easy. In this hobby $100.00 is a cheap “What did you do to your Mustang Today “.

Always change oil with engine “Hot” contamination leaves with the oil when its well mixed up

My car stays in a 5-10c heated enviroment for the winter so I just follow my normal change out -synthetic at 6-7500 km , that normally makes 2-4 changes possible during a normal year.
If the car is started during storage I always let it come up to full temperature and let the fans cycle several times so moisture is boiled out of the oil.

Oil is much better today than it was 30+ years and most of us don’t use our vehicles at max potential all of the time.

I KNOW I should change my brake fluid .... thanks for reminding ... and my coolant right now too.... I am not at peace with what I see in there now lol .... it is two other components that tends to be overlooked.

And I usually do oil change (synt) either both fall/spring OR spring.

Lots of good feedback folks! A few different ways of dealing with the storage issue for sure. In the end I erred on the side of being cautious and got a new change again in the spring. a cheap prevention i think. Thanks all!

Back