Gear Change

For the little difference in Cruising RPMs between 3;73 and 4:10s, I would go with the 4;10s.

Biggest Bang for the Buck, and well worth the extra $4.00.

I decided on 373's.Not too wild but how fast do I need to go in a topless car anyways.I also found out that Motive supplies gears to Ford Racing and American Muscle always backs their products up.Now all I need to find is a qualified installer.:)

I think you will be happy with the 3.73. It will pull really good, and should still let you cruise at hwy speeds at not to high an rpm. That will depend to a degree on your tranny gear ratio's too.
My car has a 355 rear, and although it only weighs 2200 lbs with the tube frame, it runs around 2100 rpm at 70 mph, in fifth. My T5 gear ratios as follows
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3.35[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1.99[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1.33[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1.00[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]0.68[/FONT]

Do you know the ratio's in your autobox?

Well a 2002 GT with a standard 4.6-liter SOHC V-8 produces 260 horsepower at 5,250 rpm, and 302 foot-pounds of torque at 4,000 rpm. The quicker your able to bring up the rpm, the more horsepower you have.. Lower gearing will let it spin up faster, although you could sacrifice fuel mileage on the hwy. .

If it's stock in the rear end, it should have 3.27 final ratio. The 4 speed autobox GT had ratios of 1st - 2.84; 2nd - 1.55; 3rd - 1.00; 4th - 0.70

So pretty tall gears, plus the convertible weighs around 3300lbs, (more than the hardtop by 140 lbs, or so). You might be pleasantly surprised at how it performs with just a simple rear end gear change, especially a 4.10, which might be better with the heavier vehicle.

It's certainly the most economical performance enhancement. If it still doesn't do it for you, then spend the bucks, and throw in the supercharger, etc.:)

I have read several posts on the BULLITT Mustang Forum concerning the difference between 3:73 and 4:10.
All recommended going 4:10 for your maximum bang for the Buck.

And none of those that had gone that route complained about the 2 possible concerns you mentioned.

If your regular service provider can't do it, I'm sure he could recommend someone competent.

Shepp's Transmission comes to mind for me

Got an appointment Aug 28 for Shepp's transmission to put gears in.He said Motive was a good brand.Last mod this year.:cool:

Worth the wait, Shepps is the Best Shop in Moncton for Transmission, Clutch and rear end work.

Had mine towed there yesterday or next weeks Clutch and flywheel replacement.

I've had 3:73's in my Bullitt for 3 or 4 years now and they are great at AMP and for slaloms. I don't street drive much but RPM's at 110kph are not bad.

They did a great job replacing my clutch. Just had one minor issue that required further adjustment and great since. What shop are you taking it to the second time ?

Back