Barn Finds

Big Block California Camper: 1976 Ford F-250

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

This truck appears to be a really clean example of a mid-70s Ford. Featuring big-block power with an automatic transmission, it is a factory Camper Special from 1976. Found for sale here on eBay with a current bid of $3,650, the truck sounds like a survivor gem. Located in Loomis, California, the ad doesn’t say if this is an original California truck but judging by the condition, it may be. Check it out and see what you think.

The interior is just as nice as the exterior. I don’t know if the front bench has been recovered, but everything looks very clean and tidy. Even the back seat is in amazing condition. While a crew cab might be a little more comfortable for a big family, this super cab will do just fine for small kids.

According to BlueOvalTech.com, the engine options in 1976 ranged from the 300 cubic inch inline-six to the monster 460 cubic inch V8. While the biggest engine you could get in a standard 1/2 ton was a 390, this F-250 features the big 460. While the stock performance was only about 245 horsepower, they can be easily woken up with electronic ignition, high-performance intake, and larger 4bbl carb. The ad says it has been tuned up and driven regularly, which is a plus.

The truck is a 2wd, which will be a drawback for some people. However, you can see the truck features nice aggressive tires, but they don’t look too noisy for highway driving. When combined with a camper on the back, those tires will get you pretty much anywhere you want to go without getting you in too much trouble. The 90s-style Ford wheels are fairly attractive, but I’d probably do something different if this was my truck. How about you? Would you change anything about this truck if it was yours?

More: Ford / Ford F-250

Owned by a Little Old Lady that only drove it to Church on Sunday and the Grocery Store.

17,570 Miles! 1967 Ford Galaxie 500

Jamie Palmer
Jamie Palmer

Quite literally “Grandma’s car,” this 1967 Ford Galaxie 500 has been driven only 17,570 miles! It’s located in Cincinnati, Ohio and is listed for sale here on eBay, where bidding is still under $4,000 with just over a day to go. Since the auction doesn’t have a reserve, one thing we can be sure of is that this survivor will have a new owner shortly.

I guess Grandma liked later model Lincoln aluminum wheels because that’s what’s on the car now. Other than that, it appears to be pleasingly original. Assuming you can find some steel wheels easily, you could return to a set of original hubcaps like this set without a problem. The seller also tells us that the tires are quite old, so plan on replacing those with a new set of whitewalls while you are at it.

This generation Ford had the very distinctive vertical pairs of headlights similar to Pontiacs. Even though this isn’t the highest performance model I find the look quite aggressive. One of the items to keep in mind about this particular car is that the chrome is peeling in places; those are large bumpers to be re-chromed if you want to go that route. Other than touch up work, we are told this is the original Wimbledon White paint.

It’s a shame about the cracks in the dash and I know many of you will rule this car out simply because of the four rather than two doors. Feel free to argue about it again in the comments section; suffice it to say I’m fine with four, especially at this price level. Y’all two-door-only folks just don’t know what you are missing out on!

No, it’s not a 427 or even a 390 under here, but the original 289 cubic inch V8. I’m fine with that too; you’re not trying to win races with this combination and you might even save a little gas along the way like Grandma undoubtedly did. What do you think of her car?

More: Ford

When my Family had a 71 Country Squire Wagon with a 400, my Friend's family had a Torino Wagon like this with a 390.

Patina’d Country Squire: 1968 Ford Torino Station Wagon

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

Doesn’t this 1968 Ford Torino Country Squire wagon just look tough from this angle? I know wagons aren’t the first choice among hard-core muscle car fans, but it’s hard to deny the attitude on display here. Despite this, the seller’s listing seems to indicate he’s ready to move this survivor wagon along, referencing a price reduction to $4,000 and the option to make a good cash offer if a lower price point is preferred. Seems like a potentially good deal for someone not afraid to drive a wagon, so check it out here on craigslist and located in the Bay Area.

Thanks to Barn Finds reader Roger for the find. This picture absolutely reminded me of the set of the classic sitcom, That 70s Show – the old-school paneling on the house and the similar old-school paneling on the wagon, parked in a California backyard, makes it seem entirely possible that Donna and Eric could be sitting nearby on a couple of lawn chairs. Cooper Cobra Tires and Champ 500 wheels are a great look for these, and the Flowmaster exhaust likely sounds pretty boss with a 302 from a ’68 Mustang under the hood.

Of course, I’d be sorely tempted to return this wagon to showroom condition mechanically-speaking, which would mean sourcing a healthy 390. I wouldn’t touch the well-worn exterior, and would focus on fixing the rust in the Torino which the seller claims is limited to the front floors. The interior looks fair, with an uncracked dash and decent door panels, but it will need a new headliner and carpeting. The seats are said to have minimal tears, and this is your basic six-seater arrangement.

That type of aged paint is impossible to fake, and the looks are what sells the car, in my opinion. I’m actually surprised the seller hasn’t had more bites given this look is all the rage, unless the initial selling price was too high and scared potential buyers away. Regardless, some money has been spent here, with a new battery, coil, alternator, and recent tune-up listed as the recent mechanical fixes done. With a clean title and more room for negotiation in the price, this seems like a family hauler worth checking out in person.

Showroom Stored: 1993 Ford Mustang Cobra

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

The deluge of Fox Body Cobras appearing for sale shows no sign of slowing, with yet another well-preserved example up for grabs. This red on gray example isn’t even super low mileage or the most mint one we’ve seen, yet bidding is already over $20K. The Buy-It-Now is a reasonable $24,500, and it seems like there’s a good chance it will get snagged at that price or just under. The seller is a Ford dealership that claims the Cobra has been sitting in the showroom for two years and is listed here on eBay in Centennial, Colorado.

The selling dealer is Groove Ford, which appears to specialize in Mustangs, based on the showroom inventory. It seems likely this was an employee car or a longtime owner who decided to upgrade to one of the new models that makes the Cobra of yesteryear seem laughably slow by comparison. One has to wonder why so many Cobras are suddenly up for grabs – are my instincts correct that all things 90s are suddenly hot, or is just a case of older owners deciding to upgrade while the muscle car wars are in full swing?

Like so many Mustangs, this one is completely stock except for aftermarket mufflers. I can’t criticize the owner too much for this, as it does sound wonderful. The interior isn’t as mint as some of the other, lower mileage Cobras we’ve featured; note the map pocket on the driver’s door doing the typical Mustang sag that they all seem to do, and close-up pictures reveal lots of scratches on the black trim surrounding the shifter. With over 80,000 miles, it’s not surprising that some cosmetic blemishes exist, but the seller does call the interior “immaculate.”

Some recent maintenance has been performed, which includes a new clutch “…to fix a leaking freeze plug,” according to the listing. I have to chuckle when the seller says these are getting hard to find in this sort of condition – well, not according to eBay these last few weeks. But I do notice whenever there’s a rush to cash in on a certain model’s moment in the sun, there are longer dry spells where that particular model hardly ever pops up for sale. I’d say to hold onto your Fox Body Cobras for the time being, as I have to imagine this latest round of sales will make good ones scarce in the future.

More: Cobra / Ford / Mustang

1-of-152: 1969 Ford Shelby Mustang GT350 Hertz

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

This 1969 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 is said to be a solid vehicle that has been garaged for its entire life. It comes with a raft of documentation, and with values climbing slowly but steadily, it might offer the next owner the opportunity to purchase a classic that would not only be enjoyable to own and drive but might also represent a pretty decent long-term investment. If that sounds like a winning combination, then you will find the Ford located in Oskaloosa, Iowa, and listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $40,023, and I’m not surprised to see that the reserve has not been met.

I’m sure that I’m not alone in really liking some of the vibrant colors that manufacturers have applied to their cars over the years, and Grabber Yellow is a real beauty. The owner says that the car is solid, and there are certainly no visible signs of rust in any of the panels. We don’t get any photos of the vehicle’s underside, but if it really has been garaged for its entire life, then it is feasible that it is free of any rust issues. Having said that, there is some evidence of surface corrosion in a few spots around the engine bay, so I’d be inclined to give the car a pretty thorough inspection to ensure that all is well. The Ford has been the recipient of at least a partial repaint back in 1978, but this hasn’t been undertaken completely faithfully. Amongst the included documentation is a Marti Report. This indicates that the car rolled off the line with the blackout hood treatment, but this is no longer in evidence. Otherwise, all of the external chrome and trim, along with the factory tinted glass, looks to be in good condition.

Powering the Mustang is the M-Code 351ci Windsor motor, producing 290hp. Backing this is an FMX automatic transmission, while the car also features a 3.00 Traction-Lok rear end, power steering, and power front disc brakes. This is a numbers-matching car that has been listed on the Shelby Registry and even sports Mr. Shelby’s autograph on the top of the air cleaner. The presentation under the hood is nowhere near as good as I would expect from a car that has been pampered during its life, so I’d be interested in gaining some insight into just what sort of life the car has lived. Regardless, the owner does say that the Mustang fires right up. Hopefully, this also means that it runs and drives well. Information on this aspect of the car is a little bit sparse, to say the least.

The eBay listing for the Ford is quite contradictory because the Marti Report indicates that the car rolled off the line fitted with the high-back bucket seats, upholstered in Black Clarion Knit/Corinthian Vinyl. The listing itself then talks about the car featuring Brown leather upholstery, but for my money, this looks more like the former rather than the latter. Anyway, the condition of the interior looks to be quite good, with only a bit of minor wear and fading providing any indication of the vehicle’s age. A perfectionist might be inclined to either dye or replace the carpet, but as an original survivor, it definitely passes muster. The owner identifies the only interior fault being the fact that the clock doesn’t work. Otherwise, everything is present, and it all works as it should. Optional equipment fitted to the Shelby includes air conditioning, an AM/FM stereo radio, tachometer, trip odometer, a tilt-away wheel, and a Sport Deck rear seat.

The Hertz “Rent-a-Racer” program was quite a success, and there were plenty of people who chose to rent a Shelby GT350 for a mere $12 per day. Of course, if you were feeling quite affluent, then you could hand over $60, plus 11 cents per mile, and keep the car for an entire week. In the first year of the program, Hertz chose to purchase 1,000 cars, but by 1969, only 152 cars were ordered and delivered. Today, a nice example will fetch somewhere in the region of $80,000, but a pristine example can easily push into the six-figure territory. With that in mind, it will be interesting to see whether this one sells, and if it does, what the final sales figure is.

More: Ford / GT350 / Mustang / Shelby

SHARETWEET

As my Family had a 71 like this back in the Mid 70's I like seeing ones that are well preserved like this one.

51k Original Miles? 1976 Ford LTD Country Squire

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

The owner of this 1976 Ford LTD Country Squire says that the wagon’s odometer is showing 51,509 miles and that while he can’t guarantee that these miles are original, the vehicle’s overall condition suggests that it is feasible. Let’s take a look and see what we think, and also see whether this is a classic wagon that you would like to own. The Ford is located in Cookeville, Tennessee, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. The No Reserve auction has been set to open at $8,000, but there have been no bids up to this point. However, there are currently 115 people who are watching the listing, so it is possible that this situation is set to change fairly soon.

At a touch over 19′ in overall length, this is by no means a small vehicle. It is a nice looking one, nonetheless. The Medium Green Metallic paint is showing some fading in a few spots, but it still presents quite nicely. The owner says that he has only been able to identify one small spot of rust in the body, although I’m pretty sure that I can see matching areas of rust on either side of the vehicle just behind the rear wheel arches. The woodgrain looks quite nice, although the trim that surrounds this has peeled quite badly. The owner suggests that this could be painted, but the best long-term solution might be to locate a company that performs vinyl wrapping because they might be able to wrap the trim to return it to its original appearance. The owner also admits that the rear bumper is showing some rust, but the rest of the trim and chrome looks to be in good condition.

The owner states that one of the reasons that he believes that the odometer reading might be original is due to the condition of the interior. I can see where he is coming from on that score because it does present exceptionally well for a 44-year-old family wagon. Finding anything much to fault is pretty difficult, but after examining the photos carefully, I did spot a loose thread on the passenger seat. The carpet generally looks good, although there is some staining visible on the passenger side near the kick panel. The upholstery is free of rips and splits, while the dash, pad, and the headliner all look good. The wheel doesn’t exhibit any of the wear that might indicate high mileage, so you can see why the owner feels the way that he does about the odometer reading. One thing that I did notice is the fact that some of the weather seals around the doors are looking dry and cracked. However, this is probably more a result of age than it is of high mileage. The LTD is fitted with air conditioning, but this currently doesn’t function. In addition, it looks like the wagon is fitted with power windows, cruise control, remote exterior mirrors, and I believe it also has an AM/FM radio/8-track player.

When the owner purchased the Country Squire, it didn’t actually run. A thorough inspection revealed terminal damage to the original 460ci V8, so a remanufactured 460 has been slotted in to replace it. Backing the 460 is a C6 automatic, which sends the engine’s 202hp to the rear wheels. In addition, the Ford comes equipped with the obligatory power steering, along with power front disc brakes. For such a big vehicle that tips the scales at a not insignificant 5,055lbs, the Country Squire is actually capable of getting up and moving if you are willing to poke it with a big stick. That it can cover the ¼ mile in under 19 seconds is more a testament to the mountains of torque that the engine produces, rather than due to its horsepower. In addition to the fresh engine, the Ford’s fuel system has been flushed and cleaned, the carburetor has been rebuilt, new brakes have been fitted, and the vehicle has only covered around 500 miles since it received new tires. The owner says that the wagon now runs and drives extremely well.

What do you think? When you look this 1976 Ford LTD Country Squire wagon over, do you feel that the odometer reading is accurate, or has it rolled over at some point? What I will say is that in general terms, this is a vehicle that presents quite well, and taking it to the next level would not be a major undertaking. The rust issues appear to be minimal, and with the interior and drive-train being as good as they are, it only requires some pretty minor exterior work to really make it stand out. It might not be a viable daily driver, but if you have the desire to haul your tribe across the country, then this would represent a stylish and comfortable way to undertake such a trip. There have been no bids on the vehicle to this point, so, are you willing to be the first?

More: Country Squire / Ford / LTD

SHARETWE

In this state, I'd go with a modern Coyote or Voodoo /6 Speed Power-train, and build a Pro Touring BULLITT Tribute.

“Bullitt” Tribute? 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

I guess that if you are going to sell a 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback, now is the time to do it. With the “Bullitt” Mustang selling this week for a record $3.74 million, anything less must almost look like a bargain. Well, that’s the theory anyway. This particular car is a true blank canvas vehicle and is just waiting for someone to make their own mark on it. The Mustang is located in an undisclosed location in Texas and has been listed for sale here on eBay. The owner has set a BIN of $12,499, but the option is available to make an offer.

Being a 1st Generation Mustang, it will probably come as no real surprise to learn that it does have some rust issues that will need to be addressed. These have afflicted all of the usual spots that you would expect, including the rear quarter panels, the lower fenders, the floors, and the frame rails. Having said that, the frame rails really don’t look as bad as some project Mustangs that we’ve seen, although we don’t get a look at the torque boxes and surrounds. Interestingly, the bottoms of the doors look really nice, while the rockers look to be surprisingly good. The paint is but a distant memory, with the exterior wearing little more than some primer in amongst the healthy coating of surface corrosion. Virtually all of the external trim and chrome is now missing, but all of the glass appears to be both present, and in good condition.

The owner doesn’t supply any engine photos for the simple reason that the car doesn’t have an engine. What used to occupy the engine bay was a C-Code 289ci V8, backed by a 3-speed automatic transmission. This is what makes this such a tempting proposition as a blank canvas. Some people hesitate at the prospect of modifying a numbers-matching classic, and the thought of it tends to play on their conscience. That isn’t an issue with this car, so, it could be restored to its original specifications, or the opportunity is there to create something very different. As you can see from this photo, the floors have got rust in them, but it really isn’t that bad. They will need to be replaced, but if this is indicative of the condition of the rest of the vehicle’s underside, then this would appear to be a solid car.

There’s no hiding the fact that a full restoration or refurbishment is going to be required inside the Mustang. There are a lot of components that appear to be missing, and what remains is all looking pretty dilapidated. Once again, it really is a case of the world being your oyster, and how the interior is eventually finished would only be limited by your imagination. Who knows, maybe a Pony Interior takes your fancy, or maybe something a bit more modern could be on the shopping list.

I quite like this 1968 Mustang, and I think that the reason that I like it is that it really will give the next owner the chance to let their imagination run wild. There are so many possibilities that it does boggle the mind. If you bought it, what sort of path would you follow to create the Mustang of your dreams?

More: Fastback / Ford / Mustang

Golden Pony: 1977 Ford Mustang II

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1977 Ford Mustang II has under 60,000 original miles and looks to remain in incredibly original condition with some cool, period details still in place. You’d better like gold paint, because there’s loads of it everywhere you look. The Mustang presents as being in unrestored condition but it still fires up with ease. The seller notes it has been in storage since 1990 and that it comes with a factory eight-track. The interior is another highlight, as it looks to be in similar condition (if not better) than the outside. Find it here on eBay with an opening bid of $1,700, no reserve, and no action yet.

Why are there no bids on this Mustang II? I’m shocked. Fans of this era of the Mustang have no illusions about what you’re buying, which is anything but a performance car. The opening bid seems reasonable for a car that seemingly have very few cosmetic warts and all the hallmarks of being in long-term indoor storage. Check out those old-school bumper stickers: you cannot fake vintage details like that. The consistency of the paint is also worth noting, as it may indicate this Mustang II has never been hit or otherwise drastically deconstructed. Throw in the old-school Pennsylvania license plates and there’s little doubt this is a grandma car.

The interior really does seal the deal for me in terms of erasing any doubt that this Mustang is a very nice survivor. The dash has no cracks, the seating surfaces are clean and untorn, and the carpets even appear clean. The door panels still look quite fresh, just like the fascia around the gauges. Plastics and vinyl surfaces wearing colors this light almost always look dirty by this point, but not here: even the covering around the parking brake looks clean and blemish-free. The seller notes that while he was able to get the car to fire up without too much work, he didn’t attempt to move it using the transmission, so its condition is unknown. A/C was not installed in this example.

The seller replaced the solenoid, changed the oil/filter, and bypassed the gas tank and notes that it fired right up. As mentioned, the automatic is a question mark, as I’m guessing he didn’t want to risk doing any damage to a long-idled car and just wanted to confirm the engine wasn’t a paperweight. Still, for the opening bid, that’s a roll of the dice you can make, provided there’s no rust underneath. This being a northern car, you never know – but rust isn’t mentioned in the listing. The seller does have a title in his name, so it seems like he may have had greater aspirations for the Mustang beyond listing it on eBay. It’s at least worth the opening bid, right?

More: Ford / Mustang

Shining Survivor: 1941 Ford DeLuxe Business Coupe

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Look at this 1941 Ford DeLuxe Business Coupe. Shiny, isn’t it? The owner states that he is unsure as to whether the majority of the paint is original, or whether it is the result of an older repaint. Regardless of which it is, the car presents exceptionally well, and it is now searching for a new owner. Located in Fort Wayne, Indiana, you will find the Ford listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding on this beautiful classic has reached $6,101, and with the reserve now met, that new owner would seem to be just around the corner.

The first thing to note with this Ford is the depth of shine that the black paint holds. As the owner says, he isn’t completely sure whether the majority of the paint is original, or whether someone has treated the car to a repaint at some point in the distant past. Whatever the case may be, the result is a car where you can easily see your own reflection in the paint. As for rust problems, just forget that. This car appears to be as solid as a rock, and the various photos that the owner supplies show the underside of the vehicle and the trunk to be clean of all bar some minor surface corrosion. All of the external trim and chrome is present, but some of it is starting to show its age slightly. Don’t get me wrong, because none of it is actually bad, and it is well within character for an original survivor of this age. If I were to buy this car, I wouldn’t change that at all, because it just looks right. One of the exterior highlights for me is the red wheels with chrome hubcaps and period-correct chrome trim rings. They provide a nice contrast to the black, and also impart a classy edge to the Ford.

The interior of the DeLuxe is probably just as nice as the exterior. The owner claims that the upholstery is original, and if this is true, then it has weathered the last 79-years remarkably well. I guess that this sort of proves the old adage that they don’t build them like they used to. The cushion on the driver’s side is sagging a bit, but I’m sure that this could be fixed. The door trims and headliner look good, but the upholstery around the side of the rear parcel tray is sagging and wrinkled. Once again, I’m pretty sure that this could be fixed by a competent upholsterer. There is also some wear visible on the wheel rim, but this isn’t severe, and it is well within keeping for a survivor of this age.

Peering into the engine bay of the Ford reveals a very clean 221ci flathead V8 engine. Behind this, you will find a 3-speed manual transmission, which sends the 90hp from the flathead to the rear wheels. Under the hood isn’t just about cleanliness, because the owner says that the Ford starts and runs quite well and that it seems happy to cruise along at a healthy 55mph. The only fault that he identifies is the fact that there is a hesitation which is believed to be coming from the carburetor. He does suggest that a good mechanic should be able to perform some adjustments, and all should then be fine. He says that the tires are showing some wear, but that they have plenty of life left in them. He also states that all of the lights and electrics work as they should, while the brakes stop the Ford straight and true. One thing that doesn’t rate a mention is the battery. The DeLuxe still features its original 6-volt electrical system, and the battery looks like it might be fairly new.

For some people, their ultimate dream is to buy a dilapidated classic and pour their time, effort, sweat, and money into that car, transforming it into a motoring masterpiece. For others, there is no greater thrill than to own a classic car, but undertaking any sort of project build is not a viable option. For that latter group, which, thanks to the aging process, would probably now include me, this is a car that would make a pretty decent sort of proposition. It wants for nothing, and given the fact that these are also essentially bullet-proof, it is a car that offers the possibility of years of enjoyable classic motoring. That’s why I’m not surprised that it will soon be heading to a new home.

More: Coupe / DeLuxe / Ford

The Real Christine! 1958 Plymouth Fury

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

There are a handful of iconic movie cars that are instantly recognizable, although perhaps none are more creepy than this one. The 1958 Plymouth Fury was the star of the cult classic Christine. Directed by horror master John Carpenter, the 1983 movie was based on a book written by Stephen King. We’ve featured a few “Christine-ish” cars here on Barn Finds over the years, but this one is the real-deal…Not a replica. It’s the actual car! Apparently the car was raffled off after production wrapped and while it’s a little unclear where it went from there, it was recently part of the Ron Pratte collection. You could have purchased the car last Friday, January, 10th at the Mecum Kissimmee, Florida auction. It was Lot F156 and can be found here on Mecum.com. With a pre-auction estimate of $400,000 to $500,000, the bidding stalled at $275,000 and as far as we know a deal wasn’t made. Check out more of this movie car below!

This is the iconic shot that fans of the movie Christine know! The menacing front end of the car is shown in a ghostly silhouette on the movie poster. If you haven’t seen the movie, it is a must-watch for car enthusiasts. I won’t spoil it, but beginning on the assembly line, the car menaces nearly everyone it comes in contact with.

The red and white theme carries into the interior and you can see this car is immaculate. The dash-mounted rearview mirror is a pretty unique feature.

The engine is a small block wedge V8 topped with an Offenhauser intake and dual 4bbl carburetors. The transmission is a push-button Torqueflite automatic and the car also features power steering and brakes, which is a nice addition.

This car features the fins and jet-age styling that was so popular during this era. You certainly don’t see distinct styling like this in new cars anymore. I’m not sure if I’d be comfortable owning this car or not, how about you? The bumper sticker says “Watch out for me…I am Pure Evil. I am CHRISTINE.” Yikes.

More: Plymouth Fury

Cheap 1974 Mustang II Mach I

Bruce Johnson
Bruce Johnson

Please don’t call this mustard yellow Mustang II a Pinto! Yes, it is built on a Pinto platform and came with an anemic 2.8 liter V6 but it is a Mustang and it sold very well. Unfortunately, the Mach I stickers didn’t fool anyone when it came to acceleration. Ford shortened the Mustang in 1974 by 19 inches and the car lost almost 500 lbs. The oil embargo was impacting fuel prices and the Mustang went back to its modest roots as a secretary’s car from 1974-1978. This Mustang II is listed here on Craigslist for $3,000 and is located near Portland, Oregon.

The good news is that someone replaced the 2.8 liter V6 with a 5.0 liter V8. There are no specs on the engine but it does look factory. I would assume it is fed by a 2 barrel carburetor. The seller states that it runs good but it has a valve issue and low compression in one of the cylinders. The motor is attached to a C-4 automatic transmission and overall the car is pretty solid. One of the fenders is a different shade of mustard yellow and the seller is offering a replacement hatchback for free with the sale. The Mustang II is said to handle better than the prior year due to the rack and pinion steering which has been rebuilt on this car. The seller notes that the brakes, tires and fuel lines are new.

The interior looks comfortable and original but those seats won’t hold you very well in a tight turn. The carpet has been replaced and the interior appears to be in better shape than the rest of the car. My twin brother loves these cars but, then again, he is a fan of the Cosworth Vega, too. When we are in high school, we would prey on Mustang II King Cobras in drag races in our Pontiac Trans Ams knowing that even the V8 Mustang IIs produced only 140 horsepower! With all teasing aside, the Mustang II was a sales success selling over 1 million cars from 1974-1978.

While you could by a 454 Corvette at the Chevrolet dealer or a SD-455 Trans Am at the Pontiac dealer in 1974, Ford went for the economy market with the Mustang II and abandoned its iconic heritage developed over the last 9 years. If this is your cup of tea, then this one can probably be bought cheap. If you owned a Mustang II, please comment below and tell us about your car.

Plenty Of Interest: 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

The owner of this 1967 Mustang Fastback describes it as a Barn Find and judging by the layer of dust coating the car in this photo, it looks like it might have been sitting for a reasonable period of time. Hiding below that dust is a classic that would appear to be quite solid, and is just waiting for the right person to breathe some life back into it. The Mustang is located in Des Moines, Iowa, and is listed for sale here on eBay. The bidding on this one has been really solid and has pushed the price to $31,200. At that level, the reserve has been met. An indication of just how much interest the Mustang has generated can best be gauged by the fact that there are currently 257 people who are watching the listing.

The exterior presentation of the Mustang is actually quite good. With the dust washed away, we can see that the Dark Moss Green paint has a pretty decent shine to it, while the exterior trim and chrome appears to be free of any major defects. What is noticeable is the lack of obvious rust in the panels. Areas like the rockers and lower rear quarter panels look to be solid and clean, and the owner says that he believes that all of the steel in the car is original. There is some rust present in the front floors, but this, apparently, isn’t very severe. The owner mentions the fact that the Mustang only has a driver’s side torque box. This tends to indicate that he might not be that familiar with Mustangs, because the Coupe and Fastback only had a driver’s side box in 1967, but received them on both sides from 1968. Quite why this so seems to be something of a mystery, but with the 390ci V8 finding its way into the Mustang range in 1967, it is possible that its additional weight and power exposed a weakness that Ford felt needed to be addressed. After all, car manufacturers don’t spend a penny more than they have to on construction, so the additional torque box must be there for a reason. I’ve heard a few theories and urban legends on this, but hopefully, we have a Barn Finds reader or two who can confirm this. The Mustang also comes equipped with tinted glass, and all of this looks to be in nice condition.

There are no engine photos supplied by the owner, and this is a bit of a shame. This is because there seems to be an air of uncertainty about the engine. Originally, the vehicle sported a C-Code 289ci V8, backed by a 4-speed manual transmission. These components have gone by the wayside, and in their place is a 351 and an automatic transmission. The uncertainty surrounds what type of 351 this actually is because the owner states that he was “told” that it is a Windsor, but he doesn’t sound so sure about this. One simple photo would have easily solved that little mystery. The car is also equipped with drum brakes, and like the steering, these make do without the benefit of power assistance. The good news is the fact that the vehicle runs and drives, which represents a decent starting point. The owner does indicate that the Mustang will require some adjustments to the shifter linkage, along with some work on the brakes, before it could be considered to be roadworthy.

With the exterior presenting so nicely, it’s great to see that the interior continues this trend. Apart from some wear and surface corrosion on the lower sections of the dash, the interior really needs little more than some serious cleaning to bring it back to its best. It appears to be free of any upholstery problems, with no signs of any significant splits or tears anywhere. There are a few things to note, and just how much of an issue these are will depend on just how fixated the buyer is likely to be with originality. There are some auxiliary gauges mounted under the dash, but if the buyer doesn’t want to keep them, removal would be pretty easy. More intrusive is the fact that the dash has been cut to accept an aftermarket radio/CD player. The rear speakers for this have been mounted in custom boxes, which is good news. The front speakers have been affixed to the kick panels using spacers. This possibly means that the kick panels won’t have been cut, but may only have some screw holes. Fixing those would be a fairly straightforward task. When I look at the general condition of the interior, I am struck by just how consistently good it appears to be. This makes me wonder whether it might have been restored by a previous owner at some point. If it hasn’t, then it certainly has survived quite well.

Taken on face value, this 1967 Mustang Fastback looks like it is a great car that presents very well, and I can see why it has generated so much interest since it was listed for sale. It would seem that its rust problems are minimal and that it won’t take a lot of work to return the car to active duty. For all of our blue-oval enthusiasts out there, is this a car that you would be interested in bidding on?

More: Fastback / Ford / Mustang

17k Mile 1970 Ford Torino Cobra 429 SCJ!

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Cars like this 1970 Ford Torino Cobra simply don’t come along every day. It has belonged to the same family since new, and it comes fully loaded with all of the options that take it from mild to wild. Making it even more special is the fact that over the past 50-years, it has only managed to accumulate a genuine 17,626 miles on its odometer. All good things must come to an end, so this mighty Ford is set to find its way to a new home. If you feel that the new home could be yours, then you will find the Torino Cobra located in Wylie, Texas, and listed for sale here on eBay. Mind you, if you are interested, then you will need to swallow pretty hard. The BIN on this classic has been set at $125,000, but the option is available to make an offer.

One of the keys to this car is its originality. This is a vehicle that remains basically unmolested, leaving it as Ford intended. The Candy Apple Red paint is said to be 100% original and has a nice shine to it. However, I believe that some of the vinyl stripes and graphics are not original, but removing these might not be a real problem. The car has been kept covered in a garage for its entire life, so there is a good chance that the paint hasn’t suffered any fading. If this is the case, then these items could potentially be removed without leaving any visible evidence behind. There are no signs of any significant marks or defects in the paint or panels, while rust is most definitely not an issue. The owner provides a very impressive collection of photos of every aspect of the Torino, and apart from some minor surface corrosion on a few components under the car, it really does look brand new. The external trim and chrome are in first-rate condition, and the same appears to be true of the glass. The wheels seem to be free of any defects, but the shaker poking through the hood provides a hint that this is a pretty special car.

When you look under the hood of the Torino, it’s pretty obvious that the person who ordered this car knew what they wanted. Apparently what they wanted was to go fast. With that in mind, what we find is a vehicle equipped with the 429ci Super Cobra Jet V8, pumping out an official 375hp. Of course, this figure has always been considered to be on the conservative side, as many believe that the truth lies well in excess of 400hp, and possibly as high as 450. If that isn’t enough for you, they also chose to tick the box on the options sheet next to the Drag Pack. So, backing the 429 is a 4-speed close-ratio manual transmission that feeds all of those healthy horses to a 4.30 Detroit Locker rear end. It really goes without saying that the Torino is also fitted with power steering, power front disc brakes, and the obligatory engine oil cooler to help prevent engine melt-downs when the driving got serious. At 3,942lbs, this is not a particularly light car, but it could still muster some serious performance. It was capable of sprinting from 0-60 in well under 6 seconds, while the ¼ mile was absolutely demolished in 13.4 seconds. The owner is pretty vague about just how well the Torino runs and drives, but if it has been treated with something resembling respect, then it should be okay on that front. He does say that the car has only covered a genuine 17,626 miles, but doesn’t mention whether he holds any documentation to verify this. Speaking of documentation, this is a car that does come with plenty. In addition to a Marti Report, it also comes complete with original Build Sheets, Window Sticker, Owner’s Manual, and the Owner’s Card.

The owner of the Ford describes the original interior as looking brand new, and this really isn’t that far off the mark. There is some wrinkling of the Black vinyl upholstery on the driver’s seat, but the rest of the upholstered surfaces have an as-new look to them. The headliner is perfect, the dash pad is free of any obvious cracks, while the dash is original and unmolested. Speaking of the dash, one aspect of this car that I find to be quite surprising is that given its performance credentials, the original owner chose not to order the car fitted with the factory tachometer. I would have thought that this would have been a nice feature to have at your disposal in a car of this type. Apart from the minor creases on the driver’s seat, the only other potential flaw that I have been able to spot is some pretty insignificant fading in a couple of spots on the carpet.

This 1970 Ford Torino Cobra is a lot of car, but it also represents a lot of money. It is one of the fastest and most potent cars that Ford produced during this era, and if it really is all that the owner claims, then it is a very special car. Given its overall condition, originality, and relative rarity, I suspect that it is a car that will find itself a buyer sooner rather than later. I just wish that the buyer was me, but since it can’t be me, maybe it could be you.

More: Ford / Torino Cobra

EXCLUSIVE: 1991 Ford Taurus SHO W/ Partial Plus Package

Jesse Mortensen
Jesse Mortensen

From The Seller: This 1991 Taurus SHO 5-speed was purchased by a Ford employee (Worked for Ford for forty years). He had a small collection of classic Fords and this was one of his daily drivers. It’s all stock with no modifications and was garage kept until last year. It has been under a carport since then. The original owner passed away last year and I purchased the car from the estate. It’s a west coast car with no rust or no sun damage inside or out. I have all records since new. No dents, dings, or paint damage. No interior flaws, or cracks. Nonsmoker, no pets. 100% survivor car. Runs flawless, everything works except the stereo (have not figured out why yet).

Apparently, in ’91 only the Taurus SHO was offered a package called the PLUS package consisting of several cosmetic upgrades. Also offered was a partial PLUS package, meaning it only had a couple of upgrades. This is supposed to be a partial Plus car (has the fiberglass power bulge hood) and one other trim upgrade. It has ALL the options that I know of and really is a well-preserved piece of Ford history. They are only original once as they say. Even the leather wrap on the steering wheel and shifter is in excellent shape. The only things I know the car could use are a new strut arm for the hood to hold it up and some new rear shocks. Fronts have been replaced. That is it… Own a super nice original SHO for $5,500 or best offer. Must sell. Clean title in hand. I have been working on, building and restoring American cars and trucks for over 50 years. My call on this car is 100%. You will not be disappointed.

This sounds like a great find and we hope it goes to someone who appreciates fast Fords. You can contact Scott using the form below.
  • Asking Price: $5,500 or best offer
  • Mileage: 111,000
  • Title Status: Clean
  • VIN: 1FACP54Y3NA191070

I had a Corgi Die Cast of this when I was a Kid.

Short Wheelbase Flagship: 1969 Mercedes 600

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1969 Mercedes-Benz 600 SWB is described as being in long-term family ownership and used sparingly as a second car. Mileage is reported as being just 39,000, which would likely make it one of the lower-mileage examples on the market today. Aside from one repaint in the middle 80s, the seller claims it remains highly original and in sound, running condition. These cars are notorious for being money pits even when running well, so buying one that’s been loved is essential. Find this 600 SWB here on Autotrader.com with an asking price of $89,949.

These limos-in-miniature have been on my minds lately as a Mercedes group on Facebook added photos of a similar SWB rotting away in a junkyard pile in Germany. The image shocked me, considering how coveted they are as collector’s items in the U.S. However, the complex mechanical systems and expense of properly restoring one has likely put some of these high-end sedans on the chopping block for owners without the means or the desire to empty their bank accounts to save one from the junk pile. Still, at least stateside, they remain a rare find and certainly unlikely to be scrapped given the extent to which Mercedes enthusiasts will go to preserve the rarest examples.

To put it in perspective, the 600 sedans are basically the forebears of the exotic Maybach line that defines Mercedes’ top-shelf offering for millionaires and above. The 600 similarly set the bar high for competitors that could go toe-to-toe with Mercedes on some of their more traditional models, as the 600 and its long-wheelbase sibling were intended to provide an alternative to the types of consumers who might otherwise consider a Rolls-Royce. The SWB cars like this one made do with a center divider and were intended to be driven by their owners, just as the seller claims his father did. Photos of the interior don’t provided the whole picture, but what we can see looks good.

In addition to the finicky hydraulics that powered many of the 600’s core systems, the high levels of luxury within also demand attention from owners, including the expanses of leather and wood trim, both of which can perish with neglect. Fortunately, drivetrain-wise the 600 made use of a Mercedes staple, the venerable M100 V8 that could move the big sedan with considerable thrush. The seller notes that the pneumatic suspension has been updated with new airbags; the gas tank cleaned out and fitted with a new fuel sender; and a new exhaust installed, so some decent coin has been spent on presumably deferred maintenance. Still, even with those fixes recently completed, a fairly generous maintenance budget should be planned for beyond the $90K purchase price.

More: Mercedes-Benz

S-Code 390: 1968 Ford Mustang GT Fastback

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Here at Barn Finds, we are fortunate enough to have the privilege to write about some beautiful and desirable cars. Every now and then one will come along where simple words can not convey just how stunning that car actually is. This 1968 Mustang GT Fastback is just such a car. It had already led a fairly pampered life before the current owner subjected it to the most meticulous of restorations. The result of this effort is a car that is achingly beautiful, and that would stun anyone who had the good fortune to see the car in the flesh. It is now ready to head off to a new home, so take a look and see whether that new home could be yours. The Mustang is located in Boise, Idaho, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has now reached $50,101, and I’m not in the least bit surprised that the reserve hasn’t been met. To gauge just how much of an impact this car has made, there are currently 198 people who are watching the listing.

The current owner of the Mustang is, in fact, the car’s third. The original owner only retained the car for a relatively short time before parting with it. The second owner purchased it for his wife in 1971, and she used it on a regular basis until she passed away in 1977. That owner then parked the car in his garage, threw the keys on the front seat, and that’s where it remained until 2018. The current owner then purchased it, and what he found was a solid and rust-free Mustang Fastback that retained all of its original steel. However, this wasn’t enough for him, so he then treated the car to a full and meticulous rotisserie restoration. Not one aspect of the car escaped his attention, and the end result is a car that may actually be better than when it rolled off Ford’s production line in February of 1968. The Mustang’s panels are arrow straight, and the car has received a repaint in its original Candy Apple Red. This has a phenomenal depth of shine to it, and this isn’t simply confined to what can be seen on the top of the vehicle. The owner supplies a great selection of photos, and the Mustang’s underside looks equally as impressive. The red paint is nicely contrasted by the White GT “hockey stick” stripe, while the external trim and chrome all have an as-new appearance to it. The original GT wheels are absolutely faultless and wear a set of new white sidewall tires. The glass is just as flawless as the rest of the car, while the vehicle also features a perfect GT grille with correct fog lamps, and the extremely cool GT flip-open gas cap.

The Mustang has managed to retain its numbers-matching status, but as with the vehicle’s body, the drive-train has come in for its fair share of attention. The original S-Code 390ci V8 was sent to a Ford specialist to receive a full rebuild. This was completed using all correct parts, and while they were at it, they also treated the engine to a balance. The original C6 automatic transmission, along with the starter, alternator, and brake booster, were also rebuilt at this time. That should mean that the 390 will once again be capable of delivering at least 325hp, and thanks to the fact that it has been balanced, it should be capable of doing this very smoothly. Adding to ease of operation, the original owner ordered the Mustang complete with power front disc brakes, power steering, and a 3.25 performance rear end. Before everything was bolted back together, it was all detailed within an inch of its life, and the presentation of the engine bay would now have to rate as close to perfect. The owner says that he holds receipts for every piece of work that has been performed on the car, and he also says that this is a classic that isn’t just about looks. It is, apparently, a really fun car to own and drive. Of course, any car that can blitz the ¼ mile in 14.4 seconds is guaranteed to be entertaining.

The owner says that he chose to replace the whole Mustang interior with components and trim that were true to the vehicle’s original specifications. This means that the car scores Red “Comfort Weave” seat upholstery, along with matching trim, carpet, and plastic. It also features a center floor console, a roof console with map lights, a folding rear seat, grille design in the lower door trims, simulated woodgrain on the dash and roof console, a clock, deluxe seat belts, and an AM radio. As you would probably expect, the presentation of the interior matches the rest of the vehicle. In other words, it would be considered to be close to perfect. The owner has also recently received a Marti Report for the Mustang and is happy to use this to confirm the car’s authenticity.

When I look at this Mustang, I really am left quite stunned. Its presentation is just amazing, and the next owner is going to be able to take possession of a car that will be capable of attracting attention wherever it goes. When you look at the amount of work that has gone into the restoration, I would hate to think just what this has cost the current owner. He does quote a Hagerty #1 value of $86,900 for the vehicle, and while I tend to take those valuations with a grain of salt, it isn’t far off the mark for a car in Concours condition in the market today. I suspect two things. The first is that this car has so far cost the owner significantly more than the quoted valuation to get it to its current state. The second is that I don’t believe that he is going to make his money back on it. However, someone looks like they have the potential to become the next owner of a classic that would appear to be quite special.

More: Fastback / Ford / Mustang GT

SHARETWEET

Free Wheeling Package: 1979 Ford Bronco

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1979 Ford Bronco is a mixture of old and new, with some key period details still preserved in amazing condition and some liberties taken with desirable modifications. The Free Wheeling package amounted to a cosmetic dress-up kit, but the marquee feature was the side stripes that still adorn this Bronco – and incredibly, the seller hasn’t had them replaced or reproduced. The Bronco appears to sport upgraded suspension, though no mention is made of it in the listing and some gorgeous Mickey Thompson wheels on new tires. Bidding is active here on eBay where it’s currently pegged at $25K with no reserve.

The fact that those body graphics / decals have survived as well as they have is indicative of a vehicle that’s been loved, and likely stored indoors. I suppose there’s a chance a previous owner had the kit re-done, but who cares? They look great and are a key part of the Free Wheeling package that Bronco fans want if they’re going to pony up for an original example. The spare tire cover looks too fresh to be original and the rest of the paint appears quite fresh. The Free Wheeling package also included blacked-out bumpers, grills, mirrors, and headlight buckets.

The interior looks incredible as well, with nicely preserved bucket seats and handsome (but fake) wood trim in the dash and instrument cluster. The seller notes the seats are original, and are high-back buckets with dual armrests. The steering wheel still sports its original leather wrap, and there’s even a period CB radio still installed. The Bronco is an ideal combination of a four-speed manual paired to a healthy 351 V8 and coupled with an original three-speed transfer case, power steering, and power disc brakes. The four-wheel drive system features locking hubs.

Even the small details are well done, with the seller noting he sourced a modern radio headunit that looks like a retro unit. The engine bay is super clean, revealing that the high level of detail didn’t stop with the exterior and cabin. Broncos like this, in my opinion, fit into the restomod category, rather than being a truly sympathetic survivor. Some buyers will likely be turned off by the tweaks while others will love the idea of owning a truck that is 90% correct with some fun updates to give a vintage truck some modern flair. At the end of the day, however, the most important detail are those iconic Free Wheeling stripes.

SHARETWEET

True Survivor: 1966 Ford Mustang Convertible

Jamie Palmer
Jamie Palmer

Some of your comments on rusty Mustangs lately have led us to find this gem of a survivor! With stated original paint, upholstery, carpet, chrome and even the trunk mat, this car is truly a survivor. It’s listed for sale here on eBay and is waiting for you in DeLand, Florida. Understandably, bidding has been pretty fierce but hasn’t met the reserve yet at just over $17,000 as I write.

Unfortunately, the seller only included this very fuzzy photo from the front, so most of the pictures you’ll see in this post are from the rear or sides of the car. It certainly looks clean and largely unmarked. When I tried to zoom in on this picture of the door jamb to determine more info about the car from the plate, I wasn’t able to make out the digits, so you are on your own there other than it was originally (and still is) equipped with the 200 cubic-inch 6-cylinder and was produced in Dearborn, Michigan.

The seller does mention flat tires when they purchased the car from the caretakers of their 98-year old neighbor, so I suspect the left front might have been the spare? Regardless, the seller states the car was purchased new by the neighbor and comes with all the maintenance and service records. What a wonderful find!

It looks like the current spare is flat and has been for a while. Nice to see the parts catalogs, jack, and original trunk mat, though.

The interior is said to be completely original and somehow the dash has escaped cracking. I wasn’t sure that was possible on a first-generation Mustang! Although the rear window is said to be cloudy, perhaps it could be replaced without replacing the entire top.

The trusty 200 is in there with the right amount of dirt to indicate a cared-for but not pristine car. Perhaps with some detailing and judicious parts replacement, you could get it to that level? I’m curious to see if our Mustang experts can find faults in this car? I might see a bit of overspray around that door plate, but I’m not sure. What do you think?

More: Ford / Mustang

1967 Shelby GT500 Fastback With 8,900 Genuine Miles!

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

This 1967 Shelby GT500 is a car that has led a very sheltered existence. During its life it has been in the possession of four different owners and even spent 34-years in a climate-controlled private museum. Sadly, the car’s last owner passed away last year, and now the Shelby is set to head off to a new home. Located in Portland, Oregon, the GT500 has been listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $100,100, but the reserve has not been met to this point.

The timing for this particular GT500 to come onto the market is actually quite interesting. Earlier this week, the legendary “Little Red” appeared in public for the first time since it underwent a meticulous restoration. “Little Red” was the prototype for the 1967 GT500, and it was thought to have been crushed many years ago. However, it was discovered neglected and unloved sitting in a field in Texas in 2018. The story of this GT500 most certainly isn’t one of abandonment or neglect, as it appears to have led a very sheltered life. It was purchased by its original owner in June of 1968. It was retained by him until 1984 when it was purchased by a well-known collector and Pebble Beach judge by the name of Gordon Apker. In 1988 it went to its third owner, spending the next 34-years in a private museum. The last owner purchased it in 2018 and returned it to active duty. The result of this careful ownership is a vehicle that has been verified as wearing its original and unrestored Brittany Blue Irridescent paint. This remains in extraordinary condition, while the panels are as straight as an arrow. The comprehensive series of photos supplied by the owner shows that this is a vehicle that is completely rust-free, while the Deluxe wheels look to be in as-new condition. The stripes and graphics appear to be perfect, while the external trim and glass appear to be free of any obvious flaws.

Of course, a GT500 is not merely about looks. Under the hood, you will find a 428 Cobra LeMans V8, producing a healthy 355hp. This particular car also features a 3-speed automatic transmission, power steering, and power front disc brakes. This combination resulted in a vehicle that could accelerate from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and produce a ¼ mile ET of 15 seconds. The presentation under the hood is extremely impressive, and it gets a whole lot better when you realize that this is a numbers-matching car. Having lived such a sheltered existence, combined with the fact that the GT500 has covered a genuine 8,900 miles, makes none of this particularly surprising. The seller says that the GT500 runs and drives extremely well, and if you check out the supplied video at the bottom of this article, you will not only get a walk-around to see how well the vehicle presents, but you will also get an opportunity to hear that glorious V8 running. What I will say is that it sounds as crisp and clean today as it would have sounded 53-years-ago.

The interior of the Shelby presents just as nicely as you would expect from a car like this. The Black trim appears to be faultless, while the carpet has managed to avoid any obvious signs of wear or fading. All of the correct gauges are present, as is the working AM radio, roll bar, shoulder harnesses, and the folding rear seat. The dash and steering wheel presents beautifully, but there are a couple of aftermarket additions to note inside the vehicle. The first of these is a pair of fire extinguishers that have been clamped to the roll bar on either side. These are easy to remove and besides, I actually don’t fancy having those right behind my head is something does go horribly wrong. Harder to change will be removing a set of aftermarket speakers that have been flush-mounted into the trim either side of the rear seat. This isn’t the end of the world, because replacement trims are readily available. It is just an unfortunate change to what is essentially an original and unmolested classic.

I have to give the seller some credit with his approach to advertising this 1967 Shelby GT500. If you play the supplied video, you will find that the background music for it is “Happy Together” by The Turtles. Not only is this song from the same year as the Shelby, but it would probably be an apt description of how the next owner and this classic would feel. I know that if I had the opportunity to own it, that the GT500 and I would be happy together. How about you?

More: Fastback / GT500 / Shelby

428 Cobra Jet: 1968 Ford Mustang GT

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

If anyone ever had any doubts about Ford’s desire in the 1960s to build road cars that were seriously fast, then they really need to look no further than this 1968 Mustang GT Fastback to see just how serious they were. With an engine bay filled with a 428ci Cobra Jet motor, this is a car that could really haul the mail. Owning one of these was a rare privilege, so the fact that this is 1-of-2 in the possession of the current owner makes him one lucky person. However, he has now decided that one is enough, so this one has been placed on the market. It is located in Angola, New York, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. With bidding having reached $57,150 and the reserve now met, this ground-pounding beast is set to head off to a new home.

Finished in Wimbledon White, the Mustang received a repaint in this original color some years ago. Beneath that paint is a solid vehicle that still has all of its original floors. Rust doesn’t appear to be an issue, because while the photos that the owner supplies aren’t the clearest, they do paint a positive picture. The panels look nice and straight, while the external trim and glass all appear to be in good condition. It would appear that the owner of the Mustang is something of an enthusiast, and he has attempted to retain as much originality with the car as possible. When we look at the car overall, you will notice a couple of non-original components. However, the genuine parts are present, and they will be refitted to the car before it heads off to its new owner.

I wish that we had a better photo of the engine, but this is the best that we can do. Nestling in the engine bay is a 428 Cobra Jet V8, which makes a claimed 335hp. Of course, those in the know state that this figure is extremely conservative, and that a figure of around 410hp was closer to the truth. Backing this monster is a 4-speed manual transmission, while power then finds its way to the road through a 3.50 Traction-Lok rear end. In keeping with the desire to go fast in a straight line, the Mustang also comes equipped with power front disc brakes, but there is no power assistance for the steering. So, how fast was it? How does a 0-60 time of 5.1 seconds and a ¼ mile ET of 13.8 seconds sound? Yeah, I think that it sounds pretty good too. The story of this Mustang goes something like this: The original owner purchased the Mustang to partake in a spot of street racing, so I guess there are no real surprises there. Sadly, he passed away, and the car found its way to its 2nd owner. He continued this tradition before he slowly transformed it to compete in the Super Stock class. In 1973, the car was then restored to its original specifications and did the rounds of shows for a while before being placed into storage. The current owner then purchased the car in 1999. He returned it to active duty, and has retained and maintained it ever since. Due to its largely competition life, it now has a mere 22,600 miles showing on the odometer. Tracing the story of the Mustang has not been that difficult, because both of the previous owners of the vehicle were known to the current owner. The car is said to run and drive well, and it does feel nice and strong. Included with the car will be the original and correct air cleaner assembly with the flap and original foam seal.

Looking inside the Mustang reveals a vehicle that was about as “bare bones” as you were likely to find in the Mustang range in 1968. The seats are the standard buckets, with the interior trimmed in black vinyl. There is no console, and with this being a “radio delete” GT, the only music that you will be listening to will be the sweet tune being sung by that glorious 428. Of course, you do get a decent array of gauges, all the better to monitor the health under the hood. The steering wheel that is currently fitted to the Mustang isn’t original. However, the original wheel is present, and the owner will be refitting this to the car. Generally speaking, the interior presents quite well, and while it isn’t pristine, it has the right appearance for a survivor with a competition history.

There’s a lot to be said for owning a beautifully preserved or restored classic car, but there is also a lot to be said for owning a car with a bit of history behind it. This car represents the latter, and that just adds a layer of interest to what would already be considered one of Ford’s great road cars from the 1960s. That’s why I’m not surprised that bidding on the Mustang has been so strong, and why it is set to head to a new home very soon.

More: Fastback / Ford / Mustang GT

Back